THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    1 rifle for north America deciding between 338 win and 375 h&h
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 rifle for north America deciding between 338 win and 375 h&h
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I've shot a variety of calibers over the years, ranging from a .264 that I love dearly to a .470 NE, for all sorts of game all over the world.

In 1984, I purchased a Winchester model 70 in .338 win mag, after using a friend's .338 on a bighorn/goat hunt in British Columbia. In 1985, I shot my first animal with that rifle, a nice spring bear on Kodiak. Since that time, the .338 using 225 grain bullets has been my go-to gun for everything from blacktails to brown bears. The smallest animal I've shot with it was a klipspringer (note to self, use solids next time) up to Brown Bear at the other end. It is an excellent elk rifle, perhaps the best elk caliber out there. In fact, just last Friday I shot a beautiful Nevada bull with my .338 and 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws.

For North America, I don't know if there's a better all around caliber than a .338 win mag using 225 grain bullets. The nosler partition is still my favorite bullet in that gun. One key is to get a fiberglass stock with a good pad, as that'll dampen a lot of recoil by itself.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
.338 win mag. Ammo is readily available, and it is more than proven on both sides of the pond.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Anything the .338 can do, the .375 can do with a little more authority.

Talk about using 225 grain bullets in the .338, try 235 grain bullets in the .375. Personal choice, there is no RIGHT answer.

Neither will do anything that a .30/06 with 180 grain bullets will do. Pick the caliber/cartridge you personally like best and go with it.

There is no perfect cartridge/rifle combination just as there is no perfect hunter.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've got a few 375's and used to have a 338 Win Mag. Traded it for a 340 WBY Mag. I also use the 225gr bullet but prefer the TSX over the Partition after having a couple of the latter come apart on me.

Anyway, for North America, I think the 338 (340) with the 225gr bullet is just about the cat's ass! I agree in that it has to be the finest Elk rig out there. The only thing I'd step up on in NA is the big bears. I've taken two Brownies, one with the 375 and one with the 416. Personally, I prefer the Rigby for the big bears, but I'd really have no problem using the 340 for that purpose.

The 338 is usually found in a little lighter package and will really reach out there if necessary. The light for caliber 375's can give you the velocity as well, but you'll sacrifice BC.

So I'll put my vote in for the 338 if you can only have the one. I took 2 Elk with the 338 WM, 5 Elk, 1 Alaskan Moose, Caribou, a couple of Whitetail Deer, Hogs, and a host of African Plains Game ranging from Warthog to Eland, Zebra to Nyala, Blue Wildebeest, and too many more to list with the 340WBY. Looking around at my trophy room, I've taken more animals with the .338 caliber than any other. You can't go wrong with that selection and would only need larger for some of the really big and nasty stuff such as Cape Buff and Elephant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm just going to have to wait. I have a sako A7 30-06 and it's just shooting too well. If it wasn't shooting 5 shot 1/2 moa with 165 gr hornadys and 180gn partitions, I'd probably do it because I really like the bigger calibers. just took the sako out again today and I can't bring my self to sell it.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite rifles is a Ruger 77 that started out as a .338....great gun, but I couldn't leave it alone. After a few years I rebarreled it to .375/.338...the best of both worlds in a light, handy package.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3/06 ~ sofa

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For North America: .338WM.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
9.3/06 ~ sofa

If I shoot out the 30-06 barrel i was thinking about re-barreling to 338-06, 35 whelen, or 9.3x62

Or turn it into a 280 AI and buy a 338 win

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote