Find
Notify
Tools

MR.BIG GOT THE TASTE OF SOME RUM!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted

Well, I wanted to take him with a handgun but I'm happy with the outcome. It almost cost me the ultamate price though! I hunted the clear-cuts the early part of the day. Without seeing anything. So I decided to hunt MR.BIG in the timber. As I started pushing the brush I heard somthing take off ahead of me. So I circled around to get ahead of whatever it was. I came up to a huge log and heard something just on the other side of it.

Then BAMM!!! :shock: there he was standing up just on the other side of the log "a mere 5 feet away." I went to step back to get a shot off and I tripped on a stick. Falling backwards with the MGM .338 RUM Encore in my righ hand and braking my fall with my left hand. The bear made a big WOOF sound and came over the log right at me! Eeker I had the Encore's butt under my arm-pit. As he was coming over I let off a round BOOM!!!!The bullet hit him just behind the left front leg and traveled the lenght of his body. His rear droped and he took two steps with his front legs coming to a rest just three feet infront of me. When I got home I found the bullet in his pelvis. Will post a pic of it soon. BTW....Don't shoot a .338 RUM with one hand just look at my forehead..LOL Yep the bear was not the only one bleeding!

Weight of expanded bullet was 125.5 gains and expanded to 0.636"

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Wow! Assuming you're not yanking our chain, you're one lucky sob, my friend! beer

I was gonna ask about your forehead--looks like you got it in both eyes! Yeesh! thumbdown

How good do you feel about the Hornady holding together like it did? What was the muzzle velocity (closer than you chronied, I bet! Eeker)

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
300 RUM velocities at 5 feet is a serious test of a bullet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Good Job,

You might hunt for the rest of your life and never have something so dramatic happen!!
I have to ask because of your handle, how do you like the TC rifle?? I have a TC encore Katadhin muzzleloader. I love the gun, it shoots real well. I am considering getting a 24" stainless 30-06 barrel for it. I think I will put a williams peep on the rear and a fiberoptic fron sight up front. Then I am going to put a Leupold VX II 1.75x6 in QD mounts. I plan on using it mostly on whitetail up here in Maine.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you had a clean pair of shorts with you to change into.
jumping

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey T/C Nut, Congratulations on a fine kill.

About the only way I know to top a great kill is to have an outstanding story to go with it - you've got both. You will never forget this specific kill.

Great bullet performance too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
GREAT STORY, GREAT KILL!!

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done what a rush !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
300 RUM velocities at 5 feet is a serious test of a bullet.

Correction it was a .338 RUM not a .300 RUM. But you are correct it was a serious test of a bullet. I have a box of 225gr Barens TSX's loaded-up and ready to test soon. For now though the 225gr Hornady SP's are my goto bullet!

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uglystick:
I have to ask because of your handle, how do you like the TC rifle??

I LOVE IT!! I never liked hunting with a rifle much...Have always hunted with a Super-BlackHawk. Then moved to a T/C Contender and was happy as Hell for over 15 years. Then I picked up an Encore pistol it was ok "a little big but not bad" Then I got hooked on Remington XP-100's and was in Heaven! What a gun! I then went back to the T/C Encore but, in rifle form. I could not be happier Big Grin Sure I still love my XP's ect. Do your self a favor and spend a tad more on a Custom barrel. My .338 RUM is from MGM and its a TAC DRIVER @ 300 yards my hand loads will group 1" so long as I do my part. OTT is another Custom barrel maker that is well known for being accurate shooters.

One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info TC Nut. Do either of these barrel makers have web sites???

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC Nut, did you get that bear in Washington? If so, which side of the mountains? Great hunt to by the way. Congratulations.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collegekidandy:
TC Nut, did you get that bear in Washington? If so, which side of the mountains?

Yep, I got him in Washington...Westside of MT. St. Helens.

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
TC,
How disappointed were you that you didn't have a handgun and had to use the .338 when the bear stood up?Big Grin

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
TC,

What were you wearing over your eyes? The bruise in your picture looks like you had on a pair of hard goggles or something?

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holzauge:
TC,
How disappointed were you that you didn't have a handgun and had to use the .338 when the bear stood up?Big Grin

LOL...My handgun is an XP-100 chambered in .350 Rem Mag. I wanted to see how it work! Big Grin But I'm glad I took him with the RUM.

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
TC,

What were you wearing over your eyes? The bruise in your picture looks like you had on a pair of hard goggles or something?

friar

I was not wearing anything over my eyes...Thats just blood I wiped with my hand. Trying to get it out of my eyes. I didn't even bruise it split my forehead open though.