New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear hunt in CO or WY info request
 Login/Join

<BigBores>
posted
I am looking for a bear hunt for one buddy and myself in CO, MT or WY. We're planning for next year, and either spring or fall (preferrably) hunt. Any and all info is appreciated, numbers of permits, guides, lottery draw or over the counter, prices, etc. As well as good or bad experiences. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the Wyoming Game & Fish web site.

http://gf.state.wy.us/

If it does not address your inquiries, feel free to contact me and I shall do what I can to assisit.

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
I was also hoping to hear some advise from hunters that have used guides in any of the states mentioned. Looking for good and bad (if any) experiences. Thanks for the Wy link, that helped.

Too bad Ray is still (?) out of country, he'd probably have some.

Montana seems to have the best deal on Nonresident fees, any good outfitters?

[This message has been edited by BigBores (edited 08-07-2001).]

<William E. Tibbe>
posted
Big Bores:

Black bears are scattered around in various locations. Last year 162 non-resident licenses were sold. 78 spring hunters took 23 bears and 75 fall hunters took 3 bears. The total was 142 hunters taking 26 bears. The average non-resident spent 35 days hunting per bear.

Bears are set aside and treated somewhat differently than moose, elk, mule deer and Antilope. There are special limitations and licenses are issued on a "mortality quota base. The non resident fee is $250 and every hunter licensed in the state must also buy a conservation stamp that costs $10.00 . Regulations, including season dates, are not generally published but they are available upon request.

Here are the areas where non-residents hunted.

1. NW Big Horn 2 hunters - 0 bears.
2. Burgess Junction 0 hunters
3. Painted Rock 0 hunters
4. Story 9 hunters spring 1 bear. 2 hunters fall 0 bears
5. Upper Norwood 0 hunters
6. Mayoworth2 hunters spring 0 bears. 0 hunters fall.
7. Laramie Peak 0 hunters
8. Snowy Ridge 9 hunters spring 3 bears. 7 hunters fall 0 bears
9. Sierra Madre 4 hunters spring 2 bears. 0 hunters fall
10. Uinta 0 hunters.
11.Smiths Fork 0 hunters
13. Lander 2 spring hunters 0 bears. 0 fall hunters.
14. South Piney0 hunters
15. Piney Horse Creek 2 hunters spring 0 bears. 2 hunters fall o bears.
16. Greys River 4 hunters spring 1 bear. 7 hunters fall 0 bears
17. 2 hunters spring 0 bears. 4 hunters fall 0 bears.
18. Fall Creek 7 hunters spring 0 bears. 2 hunters fall 1 bear.
19. Green River 2 hunters spring 2 bears. 11 hunters fall 0 bears.
20.Gross Ventre 16 hunters spring 4 bears. 11 hunters fall 0 bears.
21. Conant Basin. 7 hunters spring 5 bears. 9 hunters fall 1 bear.

Note that there are non-resident harvest reports. The residents took 6 times more bears in the spring and 8 times more in the fall. Looks as though the most productive areas for non-residents were Gros Ventre and Conant Basin.

The Gros ventre wilderness area covers 287,000 acres and is located just east of Jackson. The central portion lies above the timber line over 10,000 feet. Doubletop peak is 11,682'. You will also find elk, mule deer, big horn sheep, and moose.

The Jackson Game and Fish office phone number is 307-733-2321. A list of licensed outfitters is available from:

Wyoming State Board of Outfitters and Professional Guides.
1750 Westland Road, Suite 166
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002
1-800-264-0981

You may want to give the Skinner Brothers a call to see if they can set up a hunt for you. Their website is:

http://www.wyomingoutdoors.com/hunting/

Regards;

Kendall Dace

<BigBores>
posted
How about it Ray? Have you had a chance to get caught up yet? I will have at least 2 hunters, maybe 3. We would be willing to go with 1 guide if practicle, or 2 if neccesary. Does your outfit do Montana bears, or do you have one you can reccomend? Anybody else? We would want to go next fall, what would the deadline be for reservations? Thanks to all.

<William E. Tibbe>
posted
BigBores:

Tim Doud, in Cody, takes bear hunters. He claims 100% in SEEING a bear on the spring hunt.

http://www.huntinfo.com/blisscreek/

And there is another outfitter in Pinedale that goes for bears.

Kendall

<William E. Tibbe>
posted
BigBore:

If you don't mind going to Idaho Sheep Creek Outfitters ( Sheep Creek Guest Ranch ) guides for bears.

Kate and Eugent Corson are the booking agents for them. They are located in Afton, Wyoming 69 miles South of Jackson, close to the Idaho State line. They hunt the Caribou Wilderness, in Idaho, just West of Afton, Wyoming ( Between Afton and Soda Springs Idaho.

These fellows use hounds and bait. Sheep Creek claims they get the bear tags for hunters.

http://www.snkkattle.com/guide_services/bigbear.html

There is a link titled BEARS at the kate and Eugene Corson site that you may want to look at. And Sheepcreekguestranch is also a link at that site that will open Sheep Creeks website.

I haven't checked the Idaho game harvest reports but these fellows are claiming they treed 14 bears and saw more bears than were shot.

Good Luck:

Kendall Dace