New
Find
Notify
Tools

110 accubond 257 roy performance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
we'll we just got back from the ranch near Rocksprings tx and got to try the a-bond again. these were the 2nd and 3rd animal taken with them(the first a black bear). opening day 10ptfrom 275 yds away and absolute bang flop high in the shoulder from above the animal. no exit wound not a bruise on the inside of the off shoulder.

2 days later 9 pt from 100 yds away, shoulder shot another bang flop, not one step like the others. bullet was found in the off shoulder skin, you could see the bulge there. i forgot the bullet down there so i couldnt weigh it.

its seems strange that the bear at 325 and deer at 275 had no sign of an exit, and the closer animal through about the same area had almost an exit.

either way none of these animals even thought about taking another step. just thought id share what there doing with others that are thinking about them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the closer shot the bullet had more velocity thus more momentun to provide the deeper penetration. The increased momentum overcame the slightly increased bullet expansion diameter. Just a theory and may not be correct.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The thought I keep coming up with is this, without the loss in bullet weight that also keeps the diameter down as with the partition, means the AB shooter should consider using a heavier weight bullet for caliber.The shooter needs this additional weight to overcome the resistance created by the larger than norm mushroom supplied by all of the lead retention.Obviously this will be magnified by the use of high velocity.Matching bullet weight to intended game will take on a new meaning, but when calculated properly I think the AB will astound in the end.Just my opinion.

I much prefer the road less taken.

Posts: 22 | Location: Hamlni N.Y. | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
My experience doesn't mirror yours, though I am shooting much more sedate cartridges. With the 7mm, 140 grainer and the 150 grain version in .308 diameter, I am getting exits on virtually every presentation and have even scored a few doubles on hogs with these bullets. I've used the 7mm AB in 3 cartridges now: the 7mm Bulberry at 2480 fps, the 7mm-08 at 2800 fps and the .280 Rem at 3150 fps (28" barrel). In my .308, I am launching them at 2780 fps from the 20" barrel.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Scorse:
The thought I keep coming up with is this, without the loss in bullet weight that also keeps the diameter down as with the partition, means the AB shooter should consider using a heavier weight bullet for caliber.The shooter needs this additional weight to overcome the resistance created by the larger than norm mushroom supplied by all of the lead retention.

Quoting from NRA's American Rifleman from their May, 2004 issue:

"While other bulletmakers tout 90 percent weight retention from their bonded bullets, Nosler took a different approach. Its goal is deeper penetration, even at the sacrifice of weight retention. The problem with bonded bullets that are designed for high weight retention is that they quickly form a large frontal area that impedes penetration. Nosler designed its bullet to have about 60 to 70 percent weight retention. That obviously means that it will lose some weight. That's because it's designed to shed some of the expanded bullet material to keep the frontal area of the Accubond bullet a little smaller than some other bonded bullets. Accubond is designed for early expansion, but rather than tear completely apart as a Ballistic Tip often will, the Accubond's petals are designed to fold back tighter against the bullet shank. This makes a slightly smaller diameter mushroom to allow deeper penetration."

The Accubond was designed to retain some of it's weight like the Partition but have the Ballistic Coefficient and accuracy of the Ballistic Tip. I think it is too early to tell whether it succeeds or not.

thumb or thumbdown

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
black mamba,

i just bought some 110 Accubonds for my Roberts. Would you mindsharing your load?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont mind sharing the load at all but mine is a weatherby not a roberts

257 weatherby recipe

weatherby brass
110 accubond
68.2 grains RL22
fed 215 primer
oal 3.25

gives .25 to .50 group all day 3560avg. fps