New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little speed goat help, please.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi folks,
I'm hoping the good members here can get me started in the right direction on an antelope hunt.

The objective - To hunt a representative buck pronghorn, self-guided on public or private land. Willing to pay a tresspass fee. Willing to hunt hard and walk alot. Would like to find an area that has a good chance of getting a non-resident tag. I'm not looking for anyone's "secret spot", just a decent area that with some hard work, might afford me success. I don't really care which state I end up choosing. As I have seldom traveled west of the Mississippi, this would also give me a chance to see another portion of our great land.

I have been searching on the various state websites and have searched the archives here, but it's starting to get overwhelming. Would anyone be able to help narrow it down a little? Thanks.
John

Posts: 16 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: 25 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
John,
It is too late to do anything this year but if you are planning one for next year Wyoming is a prime place to look. At one time 45% of Boone & Crockett antelope came from Wyoming. One third of those came from Carbon County. Three areas that I can recommend are 45, 61, and 62. I have hunted all 3 areas and they contain some pretty decent bucks. Do a Google search to find the WY Game & Fish Dept. web site. Just about any caliber from .243 on up is good. You need to apply early. If it was me applying I would put in for 62, 61, and 45 in that order. I have taken 35 - 40 antelope in my time and most of them have been from these 3 areas.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Wyoming. I would say in the triangle of Casper down through Cheyenne to the Colorado border and east until you get due south of Rawling then a straight line back to Casper. that whole area has a huge amount of antelope and a lot of public land. Get a map of the state that shows BLM and National forest lands and use the the antelope hunting area map on the Wyo Game and Fish website to pick an area with a lot of available tags with access to public lands.

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I would look at Southeastern Montana as well, basically anythwhere in Zone 700. I've done similar hunts in the past and paid anywhere from $100-250 trespass fees for some great hunting. There's also a lot of BLM land in this area as well, which you can hunt for free.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question. New Mexico. (Elimenate the self-guided criteria. Pay the extra. Trophy Pronghorn is a bargain.) My theory is that you're not going to be going "out West" that often. Make it a hunt to remember.

Wyoming IS the only right answer the way your question is asked. Your odds are good of seeing a lot of game.

Your statement about walking a lot concerns me. I've never found it successful trying to hunt pronghorn like you would deer. You may be in for a surprise there. The country doesn't allow it. The pronghorn doesn't either.

Expect to do a lot of glassing, relatively long shots (300? yards), and develop an "ambush mentality". Usually be the time you see him, he's already seen you. Then it's your move.

Posts: 13809 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
You're in for a lot of fun.

New Mexico guided antelope hunts really are a bargain. Approx. three days with an excellent chance for a whopper. I'd like to do it some day...

For public land you can't do better than Wyoming or Montana, Wyoming having an easier chance for an out of state draw, I think. Being a Montana public land hunter I can vouch that there's so much of it in Eastern Montana that its tough to narrow down places to go. There's also a lot of block management land. Buy the BLM 1:100,000 maps and look for public land without much access for ATVs, campers, etc. and you'll have decent luck.

To increase your odds I strongly recommend putting in for tags in both states. If you draw both, do a two state hunt and have a blast.

Not intending to start an argument...everyone has different experiences...you comment about walking has great merit. You'll have much better chances at a nice buck and you'll have a better experience overall. The farther you are from the road and the crowds the better (MUCH better) off you are. When you're hunting public land in either state you'll see other hunters, 90% of which will be driving the roads trying for long, long shots. Totally unnecessary. Last weekend my daughter and I walked about 1.5 miles off the road and got into the middle of a bunch of them. We waited for a group to get into a small valley, snuck up and put the cross hairs on a decent buck at 150 yards. Waiting for next weekend to see if I can get a bigger one. Getting close to speed goats after spotting them at over 1 mile is half the fun.

Get on both state's Fish and Game web sites and prep yourself for the application. Good luck.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
everything that al said; also this>>>

hunting antelope in montana

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Want a trophy? New Mexico. Having shot 4 'lopes and been on atleast a dozen hunts, I think they are one of the easiest animals in N.A. to hunt. Some of the most common mistakes people make is not having enough patience and not being able to correctly judge the size of the horns. Get a good spotting scope and glass, SEE THEM BEFORE THEY SEE YOU, then just plan a stalk. I shot my first antelope this way and it was a lot of fun. Crawed on all fours (get knee pads and leather gloves) for about 2 hours to get within range and took him down. He did not even know I was there. Get a set of high (sitting) and tiltalble set of Harris bipods also. If you get one down, take care of the meat(usually warmer weather). I personally think pronghorn is the best game meat there is. PM me if you are interested in "my" spots. I won't steer you wrong.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I would echo the WY comments from the prior posts. Finding a representative buck should not be a problem. Here are pics of bucks all taken within 20 miles of Rawlins through the year by myself or members of the family.

My 2000 buck - Unit 61 Scores ~74

Dad's 2000 buck - Unit 61 Scores ~79

My brother's 1995 buck - Unit 61 Scores ~85

My sister in laws 2004 buck - Unit south of Rawlins Scores ~81

My buck was seen off the hiway that enters Rawlins from the north. We stopped and talked to the landowner, and they said I could go after it as long as I left them the coupon afterward. If you are looking for a goat with around ~13" horns, there are plenty that size out there. Good luck in your search.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming for sure. I've taken Antelope in several areas. Don't settle for a 13". Whichever area you choose, you'll see lots as long as its wide open.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John - I just returned from my first western hunt and my desires for my hunt seemed to mirror yours. I chose Wyoming for my goat hunt because of the numbers of antelope and the availability of public hunting areas. I used the Wyoming fish and game web site to provide me with information on public hunting areas and drawing odds for the various antelope units over the past couple of years. I then choose to apply for unit 32, south of Casper. I obtained a permit to access the Muddy Mountain Hunter Management Unit lands, which provided me with free access to several areas. I too intended to hunt via my legs and never once took my rented SUV off the county roads - I simply legged it. Antelope were not numerous but yet were not uncommon. I pulled off a 1 mile, 1 1/2 hour stalk on a 12" herd buck and shot him from a prone position from 163 yards - he and his group of seven does were bedded and were unaware of my presence.

For a fellow who had never hunted outside of the forests of the Northeast, the hunt was quite an experience. The Wyoming countryside was stark yet beautiful. The people of the Casper area, where I stayed, were friendly and hospitable. If you go, I'd guess it will be an experience you will never forget. Use these links to get some information:

For public hunting areas:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/access/plpw/management/hunter_mgmt.asp

Some of the units that were mentioned by previous posters have rather poor drawing success rates for non-residents. Use the draw results for previous years to give you an idea of where you might have a good chance of getting a tag:

http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/stats/demand/index.asp

Let me know if you would like any more information - Good Luck!

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote