New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mule deer TX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was some where just south east of Amarillo headed to Lawton OK and I swear I saw a mule deer doe on the road. Are they native in that area?

Posts: 1079 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Yes. They can coexist with whitetails in the Panhandle region as well. Of course a lot depends on exactly where you were.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Also saw mule deer last October in the northern Texas Panhandle near the OK and NM state lines.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's quite a few in the far
SE corner of CO. Both in the canyon's
and fields. State has been trying to
thin the WT's out for years. Friend
draws a Wt tag every year for their
farm. Usually gets one.

Amarillo isn't that far from there and
the rivers run that way too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, learn something new all the time Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mule Deer are endemic to West Texas and the Panhandle. Start about 50 miles NW of Abilene and go either north or west and you'll find Mule Deer habitat, particularly along the water courses. Above the Caprock they inhabit farmland as well. The south and east portions of this range (mostly below the Caprock) are shared by Whitetails, which are generally more numerous.

This same range contains pockets of Pronghorns, but those are mostly huntable only above the Cap.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
was between memphis and OK border. saw big road kill hog around there too. would have been hard on a car for sure! didnt know hogs had moved that far north, will have to look for place to hunt next time I drive through Smiler

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
was between memphis and OK border. saw big road kill hog around there too. would have been hard on a car for sure! didnt know hogs had moved that far north, will have to look for place to hunt next time I drive through Smiler

Plenty of pigs around there.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote