THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Any board members in western Tennessee?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any board members in western Tennessee?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just relocated and was hoping to meet some people that could steer me in the right direction. Never hunted whitetails, eastern turkey or hogs. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time someone inquired about this I posted this response. Hope it helps -

If you're in W. TN you've got the following. For hunting we are eaten up with whitetails in every direction. On MANY farms you can close your eyes, walk in any direction, look down, and there'll be deer tracks. And you'll find no end of turkey. Some wild hogs too, but that's mostly found in E. TN and in N. MS. And btw, the state has delisted hogs as wild game. They are marked for eradication. Landowners and their guests can get permission to carry it out. But as a practical matter there aren't enough to concern yourself over in W. TN.

Being in W TN means you're also close to some other things. You have bear across the river in AR or over in E. TN. For small game you're in the middle of the Mississippi Flyway, I think the best place in the country for ducks and geese, and you're within one day's driving distance of the Gulf coast and the LA bayou country for great fishing and seafood, and you're within one day's drive of pheasants in Kansas, Iowa and South Dakota. You're also within a half day's drive of the cold fast running streams of the Ozark mountains and their rainbow and brown trout. And you're within a couple day's drive to big game out West. Many of us here go to CO for elk, WY for pronghorns etc etc.

As far as hunting in W TN goes, it's mostly private land hunting by invitation or in clubs, mainly deer clubs. So you have to meet as many land owners as possible or look to joining a club or look to buying or leasing your own place, maybe with a partner or two. There is also public land hunting. For that consult the TWRA's website for locations of wildlife management areas and rules. There's also some federal wildlife refuge hunting, but I haven't done that in many years and am no longer up on it. Personally I greatly prefer private land, if for no other reason, it's a lot safer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Shack, thank you!

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote