Find
Notify
Tools

Low Budget DIY Meat Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
Cow elk, mule deer or white-tail does, antelope does.......

What are the opportunities in the Western states ?

Mixing in small game, upland birds or waterfowl opportunities along the way.

One guy and a dog with a 4wd towing an enclosed trailer with a generator and chest freezer. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Take me with you Skinner

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of opportunities for this type of hunt. I hunt cow elk here in NM, antelope in WY (bucks and does), I see good opportunities for hogs and does in TX, I understand MT is kind of like WY with antelope does. Don't know much about small game/bird hunting opportunities, but WY, NM, and MT have plenty of public land that surely has something to hunt on it!

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Skinner,,

If you're wanting something low budget, do hogs in TX. You can get all sorts of affordable deals to shoot several over a few days. Plus, the NR license to hunt them as compared to native game species is quite reasonable.

Lastly, wild hogs make great sausage!

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say a cow elk hunt in Utah would fit that bill. You can hunt cows for a couple days, then hit some great waterfowing areas off of I15 ot head an hour west and look for chuckar. Also the grouse season extends into many cow hunts. You would have to draw a tag and that application period is next month.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
If you drew the main combo tag you can apply for the damage hunts in Montana and can harvest up to 5 deer per area -either sex-and 2 cow elk + grouse,and alot more meat---can fill the freezer in a hurry !!!! Something to think about for next year.. clap

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check back a year or two ago, there were several colorado cow elk hunts late in the year that were advertised, quite reasonable as i recall

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote