Find
Notify
Tools

When do you see big bucks moving?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Here's a long time, well known topic. But, I've never asked about it on AR.

To All diehard deer hunters, all species of deer, has anyone made a noticeable observation or killed their bigger bucks during the mid day? Especially during the rut?

My answer is simple: YES. I've seen or killed plenty of bucks between 10am and 2pm with 1130-3pm being the most common, but this is during the rut, and regardless of weather and moon, and temp.

Any observations?

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Generally the later part of Oct, big bucks disappear.After
the first full moon in Nov it busts lose.

Also when the moon is full I see most activity in the
afternoon as the moon rises.
When the moon is cresent,new,first quarter I see most
activity in the AM.

10:00-2:00 during the rut is a killer time...but I have
killed good bucks all hours of the day.

Can't kill'em on the couch...As long as your on stand,
there is a chance.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps in Louisiana it is to warm for the deer to move much until after dark? Just guessing. Here in South Dakota Evening is a good time to hunt, but mornings are better in my experience. During the rut I think the bucks will be moving at any time (especially in cover). I remember a couple years ago I left my stand for lunch and when I went back there were large deer tracks in the snow right below my tree.

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I usually take 7-10 whitetails a year and I would have to say that I have never killed a good buck in the middle of the day or a doe for that matter.

I have noticed that deer movement varies tremendously from area to area and state to state. In most areas I hunt the most productive time or "Prime Time" of the day is the last hour of daylight. But I've hunted in states where people didn't even go hunting in the evening, they said they hardly ever saw deer in the evenings. Even here in my home state the Western places I hunt the deer move more so in the evening but, in the Eastern crop lands you had better be there in the morning.

I have heard of people harvesting deer during the middle of the day in some areas but, it's not the norm around here.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote