New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 horned pronghorn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Earlier this month I took this pronghorn buck in unit 211 in north western CO. He was a pretty good buck with one horn going a touch over 15 inches and the other one a little over 14 inches due to a broken tip. He also has double prongs. The really interesting thing was that he had a 3rd horn about an inch long right on the bridge of his nose. This is something I had never seen before on a pronghorn and was wondering if anyone else had seen anything like this?

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen it with Mt.sheep,antelope and deer.
Rare and cool

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Interesting anomaly there. Damn good buck.

Back in the archeological/evolutionary record of the pronghorn family, some of the early forms did have horns on the bridge of their nose.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horn on the bridge of the nose is not that uncommon with Pronghorns. I would say much less common with some of the other named species.

Posts: 766 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had clients shoot 10 to 12 bucks over the last 20 years with a "horn or horns" located on the bridge of the nose. Multiple "prongs" are not all that uncommon with some of these extra prongs protruding 1 1/2" in length off the main beam of the horn. We took one a Buck in New Mexico last year that had many, many points on both horns. This trait is genetic and will be localized to an area indefinitely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool.If he was mine he would get a shoulder Mount!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's funny. I met with a customer yesterday in Southwest Wyoming and his buddy had killed an antelope this year with a third horn growing directly between the two normal horns.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Nice Pronghorn!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The antelope on the right is a doe with horns. Notice no dark cheek patch or dack strip on the bridge of the nose

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a diorama at a museum somewhere that depicted prehistoric plains animals that resembled our pronghorns except that they all had third horns on their noses.

Not certain, but it could have been at the Smithsonian in D.C.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Pretty cool.If he was mine he would get a shoulder Mount!!! Big Grin

I thought about it but the wife has clearly communicated that I have enough "dead things" on the walls. I started counting and got to 60 without finishing and decided she was probably right. So, no shoulder mount but that was a hard decision to make but replacing the wife is just too expensive at this stage of the game!

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty cool pronghorn! Definitely a shoulder mount for that one.

I had a similar experience with a red sheep I shot here in Texas. Has two mini horns on his nose.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote