Find
Notify
Tools

Blow out in Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After 3 day we are calling it quits.

The three of us must have hiked 30 plus miles only saw two doe mule deer.

Private land fields where we would see hundreds. We saw 10 or 15 total mule and white tails in a 40 mile round trip.

Heavy rains today means no off hard surfaced roads for at least two day. Chance of heavy snow on Weds day. This well may the Ranch roads impassible.

All the other hunters and many locals reporting Mule deer numbers way down.

Only buck at the local packing plant was a smaller one taken on private land.

Time to make tracks or home. Leaving early tomorrow morning.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear p dog shooter. I haven't lived there in a long time, but I used to hunt mule deer just above a wheat field on a hill and wait for them to come up. Shot distance was usually 30 yards and they were so tender. God knows what that's like now. Colorado is much the same for elk, unless you are in way in or been hunting the same spot for years on end, after the first rifle shot they head for private land. So sorry your hunt didn't go as expected.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Plenty of game, just weather is so nice, ton of feed up high, moon rising so it’s like daylight at night…that means slow hunting

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I saw the weather forecast. I think after that snow finishes you will see game.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
our one canyon here isn't worth a crap till it snows about a foot up higher.

but our hunt has been much the same story.
I've seen a lot of deer in their travel corridor. [lower than normal counts for sure, but still a little better amount than I expected]

but not one single Buck since the week prior to the hunt starting.

our hunt ends tomorrow so the new snow helping on Wednesday won't be any help, unless your job is repairing the roads.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back safe and sound.

To top off the over all problems.

My truck developed a power steering leak in the steering gear box.

I am sure from all the abuse of driving the great back and ranch roads.

All the local Montana mechanics were booked well out.

Got it home by stopping every hour on the hour and refilling power steering reservoir.

5 quarts got us into front yard.

Of all the traveling I have done for out door activity in the 67 years of my life.

I feel very blessed that over all most have had no problems.

The hunting was good the chance to harvest wasn't, the weather wasn't great but we made back safely.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it back and those power steering leaks are a pain.

Was in Eastern MT day before deer/elk opener hunting antelope. No antelope bucks seen on the place I was hunting and for the first time in about 30 years zero deer seen on the AM drive to the hunting spot or on the public land I was hunting, all well off the road. Was odd.

Glad you had a good time at least and made it home safe.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No antelope bucks seen on the place I was hunting and for the first time in about 30 years zero deer seen on the AM drive to the hunting spot

That is the story we were hearing from every body.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Once again pdogshooter, I'm sorry you didn't see much game, but as i am recovering from surgery and missed this season entirely I envy the fact that you were in Montana hunting Smiler Getting better plan to book a guided bull elk hunt for next year and maybe a brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island a few years out Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things could have been a lot worse for sure.

Hope you recover well

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Things could have been a lot worse for sure.

Hope you recover well

Thanks! As soon as I get the go ahead from my doctor I'm going to book my first ever guided elk hunt. I've always been a DIY guy but I'm getting to that age.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer numbers are down in most areas of the state. The places that I hunt we are seeing a lot less deer.

Posts: 498 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It was much the same story for me. My partner and I tried a new area this year so much time was spent scouting. Saw does and fawns, no bucks. I get home after 5 days and there is a 2 point buck in my back yard. 2020

Last winter was rough on the herds. The State cut back on a lot of permits this year, hence the need to try a different area.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote