THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Can anyone suggest a good Black tail deer outfitter?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone suggest a good Black tail deer outfitter?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
Im looking to book a black tail deer hunt for the fall of 2006, does anyone have a good rec or story about a good outfitter, web page or contact info would be great!

State does not matter, WA, OR, CA

thanks for the info guys

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of THellURider
posted Hide Post
We're looking for a quality, real-deal hunt. Trophy size is, of course, a consideration.

Thanks.

~Marcus

Posts: 47 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a local here in Oregon, I personally wouldn't make the trip from Texas to hunt the Blacktails out this way... a lot of good for deer mcnuggets at best....

However, while driving around at night, I have seen some pretty spectacular racks on people's property....

Jackson and Josephine County Oregon are definitely the best two spots in Oregon for big blacktails.... I live in Josephine County... 75 % of the entire county is owned by the Feds or the State... so unlimited opportunities...

The season is 5 or 6 weeks long also....

In the last 10 years the Cougars have destroyed about 85 % of the population that was present in 1995 or so......They are definitely a lot harder to hunt than a whitetail....because they are a lot more patient... I have watched them stay in one spot and barely blink an eye for 30 minutes or more....The challenge appeals to some for that reason......

I know that may not answer your question as to Who to call... but I'd definitely recommend this area... 10 years ago, it would have been a short hunt with a lot of big racked opportunities.....

The really big ones, ( I have taken one of these) is when they cross with a Mule Deer that has wondered up into the Cascades.. but then that isn't a pure blacktail then....

The one I shot was in 1999, and it hung at the butchers at 135lbs, that is after the head and the cape where taken off of it....to get mounted....It was probably 175 to 180 lbs on the hoof... not bad when a lot of them are 60 to 80 lbs on the hoof....

good luck....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Multiple Use Managers (do a search) has good black tail hunts in California.

You realize that hunting trophy blacktails is about the same price as hunting mule deer in old Mexico.

These hunts start out at $4500 and a B&C or SCI gold medal buck is about $8500. Most ranches you can add a black bear for $1000.

The other one I know is Jim Schafsma Arrow 5 outfitters (or something like that). Craig Boddington, Ken Wilson, and Jim Shocky hunted with him.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Kodiak, or Prince of Wales Island.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with these guys several times and would hghly recommend them: They do blacktail and the new species Columbian Whitetail also.

Wester Oregon Outfitters:
www.westernoregonoutfitters.com

Regards, D. Nelson