New
Find
Notify
Tools

NM Oryx
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The results are out did anybody get lucky??

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 142 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not my year for being lucky. But then can't draw if you don't apply. Next year is another year. Cool

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The closest I got was my coworker's son. Nothing for me or mine again. Hopefully the draw for other species later in the year is a bit kinder.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Not me, so far four years of trying, maybe next year will be my year for Oryx.

Now come on WY & CO.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big ZERO!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Armendaris Ranch in NM last year for Oryx and had a great time. I would do that hunt again in a heatbeat and am considering buying the hunt again this year.

The meat is unreal, I would buy the hunt just to fill the freezer

I bought it at an auction but I think the going rate is $2500.

Let me know if your interested and I will email the contact info to you.

Drum

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being the procrastinator I am. I went to apply online the last day at 1830 when I got home from work.

They application closed at 1700.

drummondlindsey- PM sent

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No luck this year as usual!!!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well shuckey darn Mad Guess that frees me up for ibex or aoudad
Maybe mastodon in Montana

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was stationed there for 7 years shot and ate plenty of Oryx beer

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, I drew a tag for Rhodes Canyon for end of Jan 2009. Now that I drew the tag I need to find an outfitter, can anyone help out on that? I got a real nice Oryx in South Africa but I figured I'd apply for this one and got lucky! It seems like the going rates for the outfitters is pretty reasonable, I'd like to ship the meat home, hope it doesn't cost to much to get it to Ohio! Thanks. Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
try Kevin @ www.diamondjoutfitters.com This is his WY outfitting website, he lives in Aztec NM---he has a license there also. Good Guy-- hunts hard.

I can attest to that, I went hunting with him for a WY moose this past October. He loves to hunt Oryx on the White Sands.

Give him a call---see what you think. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,
I would be happy to talk to you about hunting Oryx here in NM my NM outfitter site is www.doublekoutfitters.com. Thanks for the good words Bob. If you want to call me you can call 505-334-2829.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Kevin

Posts: 61 | Location: new mexico | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, Thank you for the reference, I appreciate it. Kevin, I will send you an e-mail. Going to bed now, 3 twelves in a row, I'm pooped. Thanks Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goosejoe,
I just hunted Rhodes Canyon March 1 this year for my oryx. I had a great time and took a really nice oryx. If you decide to do this hunt yourself and need a few tips or ideas drop me a note. If you are an expereinced DIY hunter it is possible to go unguided. Logistics are a bit of an issue flying in, but the hunt itslef isn't too hard.
Good Luck,
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Bill's right. If you're accustomed to outfitting your own hunts in North America, and plan to drive to NM, you can probably pull this off yourself with minimal trouble. Of course, if you're flying in, that complicates things because you'll need someone on the ground here with the necessary equipment. Outfitters should have all the primary gear you need. Of course, there are plenty of NM rednecks around that would probably go along and lend a hand too! Big Grin

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I drew another off-range hunt for next January. I had one for this past January but didn't connect, although I had a couple opportunities. I spent some time in Rhoades Canyon on the West side off the range but didn't see any Oryx in there.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Joe,

A friend and I hunted with Craig Lemke of C&L Hunts on the Stallion Range last November. We both got nice bulls. He can guide on any of the hunts on the Missile Range (Stallion, Rhodes Canyon, Small Missile Range).

You will find that Oryx are everywhere, but judging size and getting close enough for a shot are the challenges. That's where an experienced guide is most useful. We could have killed Oryx without a guide, but the pressure of only a 2-day hunt and the difficulty of determining sex and horn size would have made for a less pleasant hunt.

Craig's website is: http://www.clhunts.com/index.html.

We are Jerry and Dave in the gallery.

PM me if you need more information.

Dave

Posts: 22 | Location: California | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote