Notify
Tools

NE Wyoming Deer Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
Hi All-

I'm considering putting in for a deer tag in Wyoming this this year. I always hunt SE Montana and thought it might be nice to be able to drop south a bit and pick up a second deer. Anyone have any recommendations for zones in the NE Wyoming with good public land access? I don't mind driving a bit, but zones 1,2,18, 17, 26 and 23 would all be easy to get to for me. Anyone have any experience hunting these areas?

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
There is not a lot of public land in NE Wyo. The Nov. Season area 1-2-3 I think includes the Bear Lodge Mts. N. of Sundance they are mostly Federal land. There are smaller parcels scattered all over . I you are good with maps and GPS they can be hunted. But as it says in the application there is "difficult" access. Even for residents!! The hunting can be good. A lot of deer and some dandy bucks both MD and whitetails

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You'd have better luck putting in for region D.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a guided hunt, I have hunted in NE Wyoming. I have an outfitter there who does 3-day hunts. If you want a do it yourself hunt. I do not have any useful info on where to look.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE Wyo is gonna be a bit tough, I guided there for 7-J in the fall of 01. Jeff and Deb have lots of ground under lease and if you're were to look outfitted would be an excellent way to go.

Aside from that I can only say that you would be wise to have your hunt ground sorted out b4 you apply.

Good luck

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that's the info I was looking for. Any recommendations on regions with better public access?

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I know Wendell and would trust where ever he sends you.

I have also watched what 7-J outfitters have produced over the years and they are very good. Even as a resident, I've considered a whitetail hunt with them. They put deer in the book every year: http://www.sevenjoutfitters.com/index.html

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
talentrec,

I've hunted NE Wyoming since 1990. There are some public spots that offer decent camping and hunting opportunities. We set up a wall tent camp and have at it.
Drop me an email at wberger@fauserenergy.com and I'll try to help.

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted northeast Wyo on and off for over 30 years and there are also ranches that accept hunters for a tresspass fee that include room and board, usually a three day hunt. These are stand and drive hunts. The one that I went to was near Hulett. My wife and I bought 80 acres a few years ago so I have my own set and wait place to hunt.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the west side of interstate 90,you'll have a ton of national forest. Otherwise the east side of 90 has some public land,but most is landlocked. The private owners up here,are very good at hosing you for trespass fee's so bring money.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrMesser:
I have hunted northeast Wyo on and off for over 30 years and there are also ranches that accept hunters for a tresspass fee that include room and board, usually a three day hunt. These are stand and drive hunts. The one that I went to was near Hulett. My wife and I bought 80 acres a few years ago so I have my own set and wait place to hunt.

Rad

I'm jealous. I'd love to have some land in that area. It's nice country.

Hullet is the closest town to where we hunt as well. (Alva doesn't count)

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westman-for what it is worth I am in Real Estate out here in the west and if you're in the market for land PM me and we can chat about it.

Thanks

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote