Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes X or Nosler Partition ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Barnes X Never had one "fail" yet!!!!
liled

Posts: 88 | Location: Texas/colorado | Registered: 02 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are good, use the one your rifle shoots best. I've tried X-bullets and Partitions in two rifles and found Partitions were more accurate. Your results could be different.
Good hunting.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Both are first class bullets. I would choose a 165 grainer in the 3006 and the 180 in the 300 mag.

Both will do fine on redstags. I had great luck with nosler partition on redstags. Pick the bullet that shots best in your rifle

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If your rifle will shoot them, the 'X' is a good bullet especially for close shots w/magnum rounds. I have never been able to get the same level of accuracy w/ the 'X' as the good old NP. I also believe as the distance increases, the NP is a better bullet due to it's softer front section, more expansion, quicker kill.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used X's ever since they came out. These TSX's seem to be the best yet. I've shot 168's already out of my 300 winmag. They go under an inch and push 3300 hard. 25" Barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep RL 22. But less than the books say. I have a very tight chamber and I guess a fast barrel. It'll go 3350 but I'm scared of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Partitions have served me so well at anything I've asked of them that I've never felt any need to change. Indeed, it would be change solely for the sake of change. Thus I have never fired a single Barnes bullet. From hearsay, I gather that Barnes bullets are tempermental as to which rifles they will shoot well from.
I am not familar with red deer but if they are elk sized, I would use a 180 or even a 200; if mulie sized, a 165 or a 180.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've used X's ever since they came out. These TSX's seem to be the best yet. I've shot 168's already out of my 300 winmag. They go under an inch and push 3300 hard. 25" Barrel.

What powder/primer are you using to get that speed??

I bet it's RL22. I got to around 3260 out of a 25" barrel with it...sakofan..I agree totally with the TSX being the best...yet

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
defintily the x-bullet it will out penetrate a nosler any day of the week but your hunting deer wich really dont require all that much penetration so either one will work but i would still stick with the x-bullet

i shoot a 210 grain x out of my 338-378 at 3350 and it kills anything i touch with it like being hit by lighting.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the one that shoots best in your gun.
I shoot the partitions. I have acumulated quite a selection of x bullits. They shoot ok... but the partitions shoot better in the guns I've tried them in.
I'm not going to say one is better than the other. Some of my friends use x bullits and I've seen what they do. Thats why I'm not giving the ones I have away. I always end up tring a bunch of bullits when I get a new gun and end up with the partition when the testing is over...Every time! As far as the partitions results on game. They work perfect!

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote