New
Find
Notify
Tools

owyhee unit 41 sw idaho....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey guys i drew unit 41 for late season mule deer this year and was looking for a few tips. not anyones family honey holes, just a few preseason pointers. i grew up hunting around grasmere and on a recent scouting trip was abit dissapointed. anyway thanks. mark
yiphowl@hotmail.com

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This time of year you will have a tough time finding deer out there it is too hot, they are not moving around much.
During your hunt they will be in the rut and if there is heavy snow in Nevada some of those deer will be pushed down into your area.
Otherwise you may need to concentrate on the canyons with water in them.
I hunt coyotes out there in December and there are a lot of deer in some areas and none in others.
My suggestion is to do lots of legwork to find people who have hunted it before and talk to them about where they hunted and what they saw.
Maybe fish and game will give you a list of the folks who drew the unit last year.
Good luck.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are one lucky guy drawing that hunt. If I had the tag I would drive into Oregon and then back up to Swisher Mountain (I think the road is called Cow Cr.) Heck, you can 4 wheel drive right near the top.

Depending on the hunting pressure, you should find good bucks near the top of the south face over looking the town of Jordan Valley, but they get pushed off the top easily. I also see good buck on the north east slope jumping them up from the brushy draws. The rolling slopes make for some pretty easy hunting.

It has been five or more years since I last took a friend in there to fill a tag. As you know, the general season only allows forked horns but we kept jumping big bucks while putting the sneak on smaller ones. You definitely need to go before the season to ensure the area hasn't burned recently.

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang it, I know I should have looked at the regulation before posting. Sorry, the area I described is in unit 40.

I hunted unit 41 several years ago during the general season and focused on the head waters of the Bruneau. The majority of the deer were above us and still in Nevada. I did shoot a 22 inch 4X4 but did see a fence post marked with Nevada on one side and Idaho on the other while carrying the buck back to camp. My point being, the boarder is difficult to determine in some areas.

The season before that we found a few deer in the triangle formed by the Bruneau and the Jarbidge but I would never claim to have "found" a good place. In general, the deer were concentrated in the areas above the canyons but with in a mile of the rims.

We glassed the canyon rims for hours having read in magazines one could find bucks in the shade below the rims. We never found a single animal that way. Rick

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote