New
Find
Notify
Tools

Round Noses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ah the anticipatory contemplation of the reloading manual for the soon to be purchased new calibre, looking up those velocities and BCs plugging them into good old JBM ballistics and getting fired up about .6" at 300yards!

Then reality - 5 years since I started stalking in this area one shot at 225 (thought it was 200) two at 180 and all the rest 125 or less. Will I ever deliberately shoot at a roe at greater than 200? No. Will I ever take a shot over 150 or so in high wind? No. Have I proven my willingness to pass on long shots? Yes. What is my absolute nightmare? A fallow buck lost in the woods with no blood trail.

So my new 6mm rem is going to be shooting 100gr Hornady round noses. As far as I can see the only practical difference is wind, 2" more drift at 200 and 5" more at 300 which I will never experience.

Is this nuts?

[ 07-02-2002, 18:33: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. I have nothing against round nosed bullets. They look kind of cool and feed like water thru every action. So what if they lose a little performance edge? As you point out, very few shooters will actually be in a hunting situation where that is a real concern.

Go for it! [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Round nose bullets have one drawback (quicker loss of velocity due to more air resistance) which results in 3 disadvantages compared to spitzers:

(1) greater drop at a given distance from the muzzle, (2) greater wind drift, and (3) less terminal velocity, which means the target is struck with less momentum and energy.

Even with the bluntest of round noses, you can probably set your sights for a point-blank range of near 200 yards. Additional wind drift will be negligible at 200 yards. And with Roe as your target, the 6mm will have abundant momentum and energy anyway. Therefore, if you want to use the RN's, they should serve you just fine.

Contrary to Pecos' experience, I have run into more feeding problems with RN's than Spitzers, but if your rifle feeds them okay, then that's not a consideration.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Pecos,
I agree 100% with you.

My most succesful largest shot was made to a running wildboar with a round nose at 180/200 yards.

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stone - Certainly the majority of bullets I've shot were spitzer, but as I said, I've never had a feeding problem with round nose. (And very few rifles ever got picky about spitzer for that matter.)

Anyway, I'm curious what rifles and cartridges gave you feeding trouble? I wonder if it could have been an overall length issue rather than the actual bullet design?

NORMALLY, the one thing for sure a round nose bullet has going for it is smooth feeding.

Just curious. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I suppose what I'm driving at is that in my opinion the RN is a more reliable expander and killer and that the extra shock of the blunt projectile is worth any slight paper loss of velocity, trajectory and plain energy. Also they seem to be easier to get accurate.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that any hunter can tell the difference in the field between the trajectory of a Spitzer or roundnose bullet for the most part..

In this day and time of fantastice fail proof bullets, it is somewhat amazing the the Remington Corelokt R. N. is still as dependable as any of them and it's probably 75 years old in design...I have never seen the RN fail to do anything but a perfect mushroom...The spitzer Corelokt will mash up from time to time, but is still a good bullet.

I am a great fan of the RN bullets in heavy weights..That does not mean that I am against spitzer bullets..It does mean that their is a place for everything, and everything has its place.....

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I am sure that the .358 Speer 180 gr FN performs far better on whitetails than any other common bullet from 7mm or .30 cal at ranges up to 240 yards. This bullet can be called a round nose as it's meplat is very small at about .190".

Of course diameter may be a factor here. It's not energy as the cartridges are similar.

But I keep buying spitzers for the other calibers and it's hard to find RN bullets.

A friend who has shot his .257 Weatherby in Africa on plains game used the 117 gr RN factory load. He had such good results that he is staying with that load. I shot that rifle at 200 yards from the bench in a strong cross wind on the same target as a group that I shot with my 6mm Int. match rifle. The 117 gr load did drift a couple of inches more but it was a good group and more than adequate for any game shooting. The spread was horizontal.

What about carrying two tested loads in your pocket? One for the woods with RN's and another for long range!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos: I admit to having very limited experience with RN's. The particular feeding problem I recall was with a Lee-Enfield .303. R-P RN's would virtually always jam on the feed ramp, while spitzers would feed perfectly.

I've also had a bit of trouble with an AR-15 variant. Although I haven't used RN's per se, bullets with a less-sharp ogive have tended to catch the feed ramp and push back into the case, while sharp-nosed spitzers feed fine.

I don't expect 1894 to experience any feeding difficulties with his 6mm, but I do point out that the "duller" the point of a bullet, the more likely it is to catch on the feeding ramp.

On the subject of expansion, I believe that it is a bit easier to make a RN expand positively and consistently than it is a spitzer, due mostly to the greater volume of exposed lead and a jacket that starts a bit further back on the bullet.

In fact, the reason that old goats like Ray like RN's is that they usually open up much more quickly and game is more significantly traumatized, thus falling and expiring more quickly; The appearance of the RN tricks Ray into thinking that he shot his game with a heavy, "deep pentrating" punch-though bullet when he actually shot it with something that behaved more like a Ballistic Tip. Just kidding, Ray. [Big Grin] Keep on following those blood trails. [Roll Eyes] It gives you more excersize and is lots more sport than just walking up to your quarry where it fell on the spot. [Wink]

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stone - It's interesting to note that both the rifles that have given you trouble with RN bullets were military types....although I should have thought the 303 wouldn't argue with you.

Still I guess all the military rifle designed and built in the last 75 years were totally intended for spirtzer type bullets.

But I hear what you are saying, now and then someone will run onto a rifle that will gag at the gnat and swallow the camel when it comes to feeding. Usually auto-pistols are the most cranky about their diet.

And I agree RN bullets ALWAYS seem to open up. I think they've definately got a place in hunting, even if they are NOT the most popular shape by far of bullets now. Current trend is clearly towards the long, sleek models and as someone said, RN's are actually getting difficult to find!

<phurley>
posted
I killed a 91/2 Brown Bear with a .300 Win mag shooting 200 gr. Roundnose Nosler Partitions. I got a one shot kill shooting the Bear head on standing up, with perfect bullet performance. I left all my reloads, three boxs to be exact with the guide who also shot a .300. When I got home I found out Nosler was discontinueing the Roundnose 200 gr. and going to Spire point only. I bought up every box of 200 gr. .30 cal Roundnose I could find for the next 5 years, giving way to that hoarding syndrome. Now I hunt Alaska with a .340 Wby or .358 STA, go figure. [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When contemplating those reloading manuals and deiciding out of two projectiles for my Rigby .416 (I like to find one load and stick to it for each rifle) The figures for the 340 gr pp and the 410 gr woodeligh RN's regarding BC's resulted in the 340 gr with the higher bc shooting only 2" flater at 300 yards. On big game this 2" would neither be here nor there, subsequently I opted for the 410 gr beacuse the RN's and Flat point projectiles I I have shot at game are better more consistent killers than spitzers IMHO.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A roundnose will work fine but I dont think its nessesary, in fact they may be obsolete. I believe that they were concieved before the advent of the spire point (notches inside the jacket) which also induces expansion. The actual expansion rate at velocities that a 6mm rem will make may not be much different between the two unless the RN has the spire point as well. Then you would have a VERY rapid expansion more suitable for lower velocities, but I dont think a rn has spire points, you could call hornady and find out.

Another bullet you may consider is speers mag tip FN. Its the bullet the GS was based on and is very similar with a more rapid expansion. If I were making a move away from spitzers thats the bullet I would choose. You are NOT nuts though. A rn will work fine, especially up close, and I could see them feeding better in certian rifles than other bullets, that would mostly depend on the gun.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Pecos: I admit to having very limited experience with RN's.

In fact, the reason that old goats like Ray like RN's is that they usually open up much more quickly and game is more significantly traumatized, thus falling and expiring more quickly; The appearance of the RN tricks Ray into thinking that he shot his game with a heavy, "deep pentrating" punch-though bullet when he actually shot it with something that behaved more like a Ballistic Tip. Just kidding, Ray. [Smile]

Hey Stonecreek, Good preface by mentioning you have "limited experience" with RNs. That becomes more common with each passing year. But, you actually have a very good grasp of their performance, as does Mr.Ray.

I suppose the reference to "old goats" was either a reference to the Game Animal as you mention "significantly traumatized and expiring quickly" when being impacted by an RN [Big Grin] or folks with many decades of experience using RNs. In either case, you would be correct.

And the comment "with something that behaved more like a Ballistic Tip" has a whole lot of truth to it. But, that depends on the specific Manufacturer of the RN. I've found "most" Remington and Speer RNs in various calibers to be a bit tougher than the equivalent Hornady or Sierra RNs. Doesn't make one better than the other, it's just that the Design Parameters are slightly different.

Yes,RNs are occasionally difficult to find, but with a few exceptions, they normally work exceptionally well in the front 1/3 of Game.

One of the suppliers I buy from had 150gr Speer Hot-Cor RNs "On Sale" last year for $4.99/100 and I bought a truck load. Most will be used during the Off Season practicing, but the ones that do impact with Game will normally provide very short tracking situations. Usually the Game can be seen from the spot they were standing when the shot was taken. This is a serious advantage during 90-100deg days of our early Season and in the swamps where Game can't be seen in some directions if it makes it 20 feet.

Nothing at all wrong with the Spitzer bullets as they work very well also. But, a BIG RN in a shiney brass case does have a certain old time panache to it.

I like those RN bullets, especially on Game! [Big Grin]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I am a great fan of the RN bullets in heavy weights..

So am I. And if the American mainstream ammunition manufacturers were not as terminally stupid and low-quality-oriented as they are today (compared to, let's say, even thirty years ago), they would long have realized this and still offer good RN bullets in heavy weight, such as the excellent 215 grains round nose .303 British load, so sorely missed by many hunters since Remington in their unfathomable ignorance chose to discontinue it.

Oh yes, Remington: a producer who is not able to anneal case necks (ahh, what do you say, 40 % cracked necks of loaded cartridges new in the box - oops, we did it again ?), who does not know the case head dimensional specifications (aren't them U-ropp-eeen rifle cartridges ALL the same, Billybob ?) - see http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005176 -, and whose quality control dept. is run by sloths who were forcefully exiled from the jungle for "intolerable lack of zeal and initiative", as the joint animals jury's sentence was motivated...

Okay, okay, I'll stop my diatribe and slide off from the soapbox. While sneaking away, may I just meekly suggest that some of the US ammo makers would take up an apprenticeship in a decently run Serbian or Bosnian factory, to gain an appreciation of what quality can mean: they would be able to learn a LOT there.

Carcano Crusty Curmudgeon ;-)

[ 07-04-2002, 00:45: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep going Carcano! I was enjoying it! Tell um how it is. [Big Grin] (Or ought to be!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Remington does do the trendy thing. I really miss that 215 gr 303 round. Best swamp donky (moose)round I ever used. Even If they would just sell the bullets I would be happy. Sigh. Oh well, maybe someday. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rn are great. interesting to see the difference in a well shot game, vs a not perfect shot game, rn vs sp. I shoot LOTS of both, and the rn's are my fav. Just because I like em
jeffe

Posts: 38610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Since when did Remington stop annealing rifle cases? Lets see....I use mostly all Rem brass.
.375H&H, .223, .25/06, 30/30,.243....yup all annealed. All purchased in the last 12 months.
Al, if you produced a product that didn't sell would still stock it. You wouldn't stay in business very long. Yes there are a lot of products that have been discontinued that I miss but they were discontinued because I/we didn't buy enough of it.