THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    156gr Swift A frame vs 156gr Norma Oryx

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

156gr Swift A frame vs 156gr Norma Oryx
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would there be any advantage to using the A frame (TXP) over the Oryx in 6.5x55? Anyone tried any TXP on moose?

Also will the 156gr A frame be available in component form?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A hunting friend of mine uses A-Frame in his 6,5x55. He handloads so he must have bought the bullets seperately, I'll check with him where he bought them if I can get hold of him. The A-Frame is tougher than the Oryx; if this is an advantage will, of course, depend upon the application.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
If I was an american I'd say that the Oryx bullet is a classic. (Anybody else noticed that everything older than 5 years is called classic in america ) Of course you should use an Oryx. It's less than half the price and made in Sweden. It's a sacriledge to use a foreign bullet in a 6,5X55. Also the fact that it puts expansion before penetration makes it more in line with the general swedish idea of how a bullet should work.

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
What velocity do you load the 156gr Oryx in the 6.5X55? Is this bullet as good as their web page indicates it is?

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Ola>
posted
I would prefere the SWIFT, if the target is moose. I loaded some rounds of that bullet for a friend. He used it on moose last autumn. Shot 2 shots on a medium sized bull. Both bullets whent trough the moose. Lung-heart-shots from broadside. The 6,5x55 is a carteridge in the lower class for moose. In my opinion the penetration is more important than expansion with this calibre when using it on larger animals. SWIFT bullets ensures penetration. Midway(.no) has got Swift in 6,5. Weight is limited to 140 gr.