Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with mini "dogos."
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I have what I call mini "dogos." Two Jack Russell terriers. Nothing is safe when they go after the prey. Little Bill has tackled and gone after everything from Brahma bulls, to racoons, to Canada geese. The bull kicked him off his hind hoof; the raccoons came out the other end of the culvert as bloody as Bill, and I rescued the goose.

My little Punkin takes off after rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks and you can't hardly see her feet touch the ground. Problem is, for me as a knife hunter, there's nothing left for me to kill. I went for that chipmunk today with my Swiss Army Knife - I mean I was ready - and the damn thing was dead as a liberal at a John Birch society meeting.

Oh well, just thought I'd share. Big Grin

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I would love to see some pictures of em in action if you could.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bucko:
Thanks Bill, I would love to see some pictures of em in action if you could.

I need to put some more on photobucket....

The first one is Bill "attacking" a just killed bison. Had we left him long enough he would have pulled all the hair off the beast.

The second is Bill's "driving" position when we are in the hunting field. Ready for action.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the German flavour of those "mini-dogos".

Mine is now 3,5 years old and not to be scared by anything but sheep behind electric wire. He repeats that experience every year, seems that he just can't believe that tose wooly critters bite...

Recently he had a discussion with a Husky about 3 times his size, another argument was with a Golden Retriever, they just never surrender.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I'd like to have a German Jagt Terrier. They are hard to find in America.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a jack russle terrier. How are they with kids?

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grk40x40:
I've always wanted a jack russle terrier. How are they with kids?

I have no experience with JRT but jagd terriers are excellent family companions, I have 3 children and so far no problems at all. They seem to distinguish very well between who's family or a good guy and who not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH I hunt with in RSA uses jack russels as his hunting dogs. They as excellent, the size of the animal they will chase after does not matter. Seen one bay up a cape buffalo after poor shot by a hunter. They also track very well on a blood trail.

They are very good with people and kids.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
or as a friend of mine calls his, "Jack Russel Terrorist"

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine has a Jack Russell that he hunts with, but probably not like you'd expect. My friend is a licensed falconer as well. "Squirt" has the job of shagging rabbits and other small game out of their hiding spots. Once they are on the run and my friends Red-Tailed Hawk or Harris Hawk gets a bead on it then Squirt knows that his job is done. The hawk comes in and (usually) makes the catch.

Very exciting to watch and interesting to see how smart these dogs are.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My youngest son had a female Jack Russell ('Mini') that was a quality all-around dog that was no problem around the grandkid. She held her own against my 70-pound mix breed 'brown dog' (lab? shepard? pit bull?). Whatever he is, he's a dog of respect that routinely duels with raccoons (and wins). But that little Jack Russell was his equal.

I would not hesitate to own a Jack Russell. They are a cool dog.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
By the way, my PH friends in Namibia (Gauss Hunting) that have some mix-breed German Terriers as hunting dogs. I have seen these dogs in action; they are absolutely fearless! I've seen them engaging wounded warthogs and gemsbok. I have witnessed two of these dogs attacking and whipping a baboon.

THAT, takes some doing.

You do not stare these dogs in the eye as they take exception to that.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice,

My sister has a Cairn terrorist, and my parents have a jack russel terrorist.

They are both pretty bitey on kids, but you just need tougher kids. They are like ferrets, feerless, and bitey but lots of fun and wonderful pets.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The grandfather of a hunting buddy who lives in Namibia and owns jagd terriers also claims that the word "terrier" is derived from "terrorist", it can also be the other way round, they do have some suicidal attitude once in a while: "I will never surrender!"