Find
Notify
Tools

Game Re-introduction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey
is there any game that used to be in your area that you would like to see re-introduced?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
Yes,Grizz. Fuzz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mammoth
(I'm not kidding)

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

I agree with you, mammoths roamed Wisconsin and elsewhere in the Pleistocene. With all the talk about cloning Mammoths, you have to wonder. They seem to want to re-introduce everything else that lived in Wisconsin so why not Mammoths

A fun thought. I wonder what would you use for mammoth hunting (a 577 Tyrannosaurus?)

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With genetic material from Siberian wooly mammoths and a female Indian elephant as a host, you can breed a true mammoth in three generations. This is a native species that needs to be reintroduced. Who needs those expensive African hunting trips?

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
John

I agree with you, mammoths roamed Wisconsin and elsewhere in the Pleistocene. With all the talk about cloning Mammoths, you have to wonder. They seem to want to re-introduce everything else that lived in Wisconsin so why not Mammoths

A fun thought. I wonder what would you use for mammoth hunting (a 577 Tyrannosaurus?)

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mammoths might play hell with corn fields, but the Irish Elk with its twelve-foot antler spread . . .

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about an Entelodont? Now that would be some "pig" hunting!

"A cross between a pig and a tank, standing fully 7 feet tall and with a brain the size of a fist, entelodonts are cousins to modern pigs and other hoofed animals. Many of their skulls show evidence of severe wounds that could only have been inflicted by other entelodonts during fights. The bony lumps all over their faces probably evolved to protect delicate areas during an attack."

PRONUNCIATION: EN-TELL-OH-DONT
LIVED: 45 ? 25 million years ago
SIZE: 7 feet at the shoulder
FACT: Omnivorous, eating mostly scavenged carcasses
MEANING: Perfect-toothed
CLOSEST LIVING RELATIVE: Pigs and other hoofed animals
RANGE: Asia and North America

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/beasts/beasts.html

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
Pigs with an attitude! Now that's Dangerous Game Hunting!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about those Pleistocene deer that had 12 ft spans on their racks? Imagine trying to get one of those mounted above the fireplace....

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double post

[This message has been edited by TXLoader (edited 03-19-2002).]

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

OOOH I forgot about the Irish Elk. Count me in for one of those tags too!

OK, So an "Ice Age 5" might include . . .

1) Saber Tooth Tiger
2) Wooly Mammoth
3) Wooly Rhinoscerous
4) Irish Elk
5) Wood Bison

Sounds like a bunch of fun eh!

Fred,

Can you imagine what a mammoth hunt might really cost? All the money that would go into building a breeding population? Elephant would be much cheaper I think.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Irish Elk

Mammoths

Ibex in the Grand Canyon

Imagine your trophy room with a full mount Irish Elk

The .375 would become a minimum for just roaming around in the North American bush.

The day of the 4 Bore would return for mammoths.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot about the Giant Ground Sloth. About the size of a modern Elephant.

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohntheGreek, cost, an interesting point. Here in the midwest the state tends to bear the cost of reintros, unlike Western states where the cost of a program like sheep is partly borne by high license fees, particularly to non-residents. Madison WI is a major genetics and bioengineering research center, they will do the cloning procedure, the DNR here then will move the animals up north by my place. -F.

Fred,

Can you imagine what a mammoth hunt might really cost? All the money that would go into building a breeding population? Elephant would be much cheaper I think.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
It's my understanding that the Irish elk was wiped out just a few thousand years ago. Dittos I believe for the mamoth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred

Good Point. I don't suppose you want to run for Wisconsin Gouvernor? With you at the helm we might get the mammoth re-introduction going that much faster.

I believe Northern Wisconsin may be a similar environment to the Pleistocene Steppes that the mammoth lived in and therefore would be a good place for re-introduction.

I'll have to go find a good big bore...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to be the Mammoth Warden.

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Fred

Good Point. I don't suppose you want to run for Wisconsin Gouvernor? With you at the helm we might get the mammoth re-introduction going that much faster.

I believe Northern Wisconsin may be a similar environment to the Pleistocene Steppes that the mammoth lived in and therefore would be a good place for re-introduction.

I'll have to go find a good big bore...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
leo,

Mammoth and The Irish Elk were gone by about 10k years ago. There was this wierd incident, however, with some South American explorer in the 19th century who alleged that his group shot at, but had no adverse effect upon, a large armadillo like creature that was subsequently believed to be a Giant Ground Sloth. They also found feces and hair in a local cave. This stuff was recently carbon dated at over 10k years old however. WIERD EH?

Fred,

Sounds good! You guys do the genetic research there, keep a few Woolies up there, drop a couple dozen Columbian Mammoths in Southeast Utah and some more Woolies in The Yukon. Lets go hunting!

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

<perrydog>
posted
How recent were the mammoths on Wrangell island???? they were smaller, I think about half size, and for some reason I think they were the most recent to die out.

Let's see....a mature male elephant is 30-50 years old, I assume the cows are not of age until the 20 or 30's. then a calf every five or six years????...if we start cloning tommorrow we might have a real nice bull in 2040...huntable population going by the time 2050.

When you live in an area that people find pleistocene fossils commonly(horses seem the most common here) day dreams often turn to BIG and HAIRY game hunting.

I am not saying we shouldn't do it...just saying we need to get started quick!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
How about sabretooth tigers in Washington DC?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<perrydog>
posted
Sorry, double post...

[This message has been edited by perrydog (edited 03-23-2002).]

<RedFox>
posted
Just a bit of a joke here but your going to have to call in Overkill to help.

<500 AHR>
posted
First I would like to let all of you know just how demented you all truly are. Now having said that, COUNT ME IN!! Sounds like a hell of a good time.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah we are demented , but we have fun. I'll let you know when the Mammoth ranch opens up.

Red Fox, I'm actually surprised overkill didn't comment, I was expecting someone to suggest a T-rex re-introduction to go with a 577 tyranosaur.