Find
Notify
Tools

What draws?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I sent my draws off yesterday. Now it's the waiting game and it drives me a little nuts. I thought maybe theropy might help so I'm asking what draws are people putting in this year?

I only put four draws in this year opposed to the seven last year. I put in moose locally, goat up north, mulie doe locally and Vancouver Island archery rosevelt elk.

I won't find out ontil july. Some systems are different and I'd like to hear how they work. We don't get preference points and I wish we did. I've been waiting alot of years for that elk draw.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boilerroom,
I know how you feel about the waiting game. I've put in 7 draws last week.

1. Rocky mountain elk with 8 preference points.
2. Mule deer with 7 preference points
3. Mule doe with 3 preference points
4. Additional deer with 4 preference points
5. Pronghorn with 9 preference points
6. Desert bighorn with 10? preference points
7. Mountain goat with 10? preference points

Oregon has preference points system and I personally don't trust Oregon Fish & wildlife
with there computerize selection process based on those who has the most preference points are chosen for that hunt series they applied for. I have for the last 8 years received my controlled hunt tag for a unit on my second choice with elk, mule deer and mule doe. For every preference point you received, also means amount of years you've been applying for each type of big game. Also, you do not lose a preference point if you have drawn a tag on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th choice.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Moose for sure (bull), although I got drawn last year, so I'm sure my odds will be in the slim to not a freakin' chance area. [Wink] Oh well, we're still eating that moose for another year I bet. So I'm thinking 6-04 early, again. Very low amount of tags available, so very few hunters for a sorta big region.

Maybe a grizz. draw for east Atlin this fall, although I don't know if I will be going, so I don't really want to waste a draw. Same for bison, why apply if I might not go? Someday...... [Big Grin]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
No preference points in NM either, but here's what I tried for:
Mule deer w/rifle
Cow elk w/muzzleloader
Antelope w/whatever (yeah right!)
Javelina w/whatever (probably handgun)
Already got nixed on oryx

I may try my hand at bear hunting this year; it's an over the counter license.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado
Desert Ram - Unsucessful
Muzzle Antlered Elk - No pref points
Rifle Antlered Deer - 5 pref points
Antelope - Applied for Pref point, have 5
Bear - Applied for Pref point, have 5

Wyoming
Rifle Doe Antelope

Colorado has a straight preference point system for Elk, Deer, Antelope and Bear. They have a 3 max system then weighted preference points for Moose, Rocky Mtn Bighorn and Mtn Goat.
No preference points for Desert Bighorn.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cow moose, cow elk (these are in certain areas) mule buck, trophy antelope. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due to my deployment, I have already or will miss all drawings for MT. I'm going to buy an elk, and deer tag over the counter, and hope my district has some reamining Muley doe draw tags left when I return later in the year. I wanted to apply for every thing this year, but that got flushed. Before I die, I WILL hunt bighorn and Mt. Goat.

Hudge