New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Black Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going back this June for another black bear hunt. This will be my 3rd hunt to this area, but my first Spring hunt in Idaho. I have taken a bear on my 2 previous trips, one with my 9,3x74R Chapuis double, the second with my Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308.
This year I am torn between using my 450/400 3 1/4" [which had taken a bear in Montana on my only other Spring hunt] or my Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H with the 19 3/4 inch Tracker bbl.
This is a 2 bear area so I will probably just take both, switching between the two as the mood strikes.
My brother is also going, he will take his Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 as his primary with his SAKO 375 H&H Handy Rifle [20" bbl with Mcmillian stock].
We will both have 4" S&W 44's as well.
A couple of other people are thinking about going, I do not know what rifles they will use yet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Going back this June for another black bear hunt. This will be my 3rd hunt to this area, but my first Spring hunt in Idaho. I have taken a bear on my 2 previous trips, one with my 9,3x74R Chapuis double, the second with my Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308.
This year I am torn between using my 450/400 3 1/4" [which had taken a bear in Montana on my only other Spring hunt] or my Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H with the 19 3/4 inch Tracker bbl.
This is a 2 bear area so I will probably just take both, switching between the two as the mood strikes.
My brother is also going, he will take his Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 as his primary with his SAKO 375 H&H Handy Rifle [20" bbl with Mcmillian stock].
We will both have 4" S&W 44's as well.
A couple of other people are thinking about going, I do not know what rifles they will use yet.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using an outfitter, Elk City Adventures.
www.elkcityadventures.com

My first hunt was with the original owner, on my second trip the original owner and the new owners were involved in the hunt. All nice people, which is why I am going back. Along with the fact that I like to hunt bears. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am using an outfitter, Elk City Adventures.
www.elkcityadventures.com

My first hunt was with the original owner, on my second trip the original owner and the new owners were involved in the hunt. All nice people, which is why I am going back. Along with the fact that I like to hunt bears. Big Grin

_______

Thanks NE450,
I'll check them out. As of now I have a DIY planned for the lower Sawtooth area.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
NE 450-Thats a good area with lots of Blackies.I spend alot of time in that area as I live very close to Elk City.The mill closed down there recently and Elk City will probably be thinning out unfortuanately from lack of work in the area.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaycocreek:
The mill closed down there recently and Elk City will probably be thinning out unfortuanately from lack of work in the area.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jayco

Man, I hate to hear that! I spent a week in the mountains north of Elk City last June. It is one of the best places I’ve been. I eat breakfast one morning at a place I believe was call “Vals�?? Is it still there? I meet a guy named Matt, who had been hurt in a mill accident while in Russia. I don’t know his last name but do you know him?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
The only good part is there expanding the mill here in Grangeville that will employ like 1500 people in the near future.

The names don't ring a bell.We have a couple friends there we stop by to see a couple times a year but spend most of our time out and about like you fishing and "looking" for game.This year we are taking the ATV's the whole way on the Nez Pierce trail road to Montana.Can't wait.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Carol and Val's" is the name of that place and I can second the fact that the eats and company are both pretty good at that place. Further, Matt is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet and his young son shot his first bear while Mark, Mike Detorre and I were up there. I wish I could head up there again this spring but I got roped into teaching summer semested here and won't be home until August.
Frowner
Too bad about the mill for sure. Lots of people going to be moving to Grangeville I imagine and, while its nice there, it just doesn't have the character that Elk City does.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk City is a colorful place, the people have been very nice.
jaycocreek, I plan on being in Elk City on June 7th, if hyou can come down and have dinner with us. Let me know.

I heard about the Mill last year, it is a real shame, small American towns seem to suffer more and more as time goes on.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
N E 450-I like Elk City except like evrything else it is getting over used from the notoriety it has recieved.Red River is a mess on a summer week end.Even though I have worked a few times out of Elk City before during and after Hunting season,I have chosen to hunt elswhere because of the numbers than flauk there.

This year is going to be very interesting as far as hunting goes with the wolves really on the rampage.A guy from the Elk City area took a couple pictures which one was a Black Bear being attacked by wolves and it hangs in the local bargain/gun shop along with several of a moose being devoured in less than an hour by a pack with several pictures of it and all neer Elk City.

I would love to meet you or any poster in the area if I can.I will be spending alot of time in that area for my purposes on a promising spot plus it's pretty good fishing and I do like my fish.

56 years in Idaho and I have never been "All" the way on this road and this is the year for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention the wolves. I go hunting a little north of Elk city every year with relatives that live in Idaho. We have seen more and more sign the last couple years. Last year I was within 60 yards of a pack running a large animal I think was a Elk. Anyway First year in a few that I didn't get a elk but my 72 year old uncle did so It was a great trip. Unfortanately I won't be stopping at the "Reno" for a beer before heading home. I did tell the fish and game that there were to many wolves to help you folks out. Maybe if they get to missing $484.50 from me and others they will listen. That said it is truely a wonderful area with great people.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
NE450No2; I just booked my flight from OKC to Missoula, MT. Working on vehicle rental. Traded emails with Joannie earlier today. Will be in camp on the 8th.

I'm flying in to Missoula on the 7th, so if your in the area, I can change my plans.

Looking forward to the hunt. Regards, Scott.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe
Sounds good We will be in Elk City on the 7th. I will get you the phone number of the motel to stay in. Sorry Adrianne cannot go. If you would like to bring another one of you hunting buddies with you feel free to do so. There is a space available.
As to which rifle, I used my single shot 308 last year with a 180 Woodleigh Soft and one shot killed the bear.... But the original owner Lawrence stated I was the first one to kill a bear with a 30 cal that did not require a long followup. They really prefer a big bore rifle. I agree as you might be shooting at last light.
I will take a 450/400 double and a 375 H&H. My brother will take a 45/70 and a 375 H&H.
What big guns you got? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son is working for an outfitter there this year. Mostly hounds. The bears are already out here in Wyoming. We seen one set of black bear tracks yesterday., And one small bear, it looked starved.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
What big guns you got? Big Grin

Didn't really think anything bigger than a 30 cal 180 would be required, but I could bring one of my 338WM's, 375 H&H or my 416 RM. Although I got to believe anything over the 338 is gross over kill.

One of my 338's is a Win classic stainless / synthetic and Joannie mentioned a distinct possibility of inclement weather, so that would probably be appropriate.

I am sure we'll talk before hand, but I will meet you in Elk City on the 7th.

Be sure to call her or send her a note as she asked about firming up your details. I sent you an email earlier this afternoon. Regards,

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe
I would definately use one of your big bores. Your shot should be from 20 yards to about 40 yards. I have killed 3 bear over bait, 2 were with doubles and iron sights.
I sent her another e mail tonight.
Are you going to try and get one of your buddies to go too?

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mighty Joe
I would definately use one of your big bores. Your shot should be from 20 yards to about 40 yards. I have killed 3 bear over bait, 2 were with doubles and iron sights.
I sent her another e mail tonight.
Are you going to try and get one of your buddies to go too?

I'm trying to get A' to skip school. We'll see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be great. A little hookie never hurt anybody. We will have a good time on the trip for sure.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Hell, at that range I'll use a handgun. Hot 44 w/ 300gr CorBon Penetrators or 454 Cassull w/ Nos Partition HG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the thread! You got me all excited, and now I'm trying to set up a trip for the 20th to the 24th with my boys and a friend of mine.

Unfortunately, my kids don't get out of school until the 16th, or I'd try to get there early and see if you guys wanted to meet for dinner or something.

Looks like the 11 year old is too young to hunt bear until next year, but I'll bring him out as an observer this year if I can talk them into letting him stay in camp for less than $600.

What do you guys plan to do for taxidermy? Any mount or rug? Also, what do you guys do with the meat?

I'd appreciate any input.

Steve

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1
Bear meat is very good. I trim all the fat I can off the bear and give it to the lady that runs the motel across the street from the grocery store in Elk City. Bear fat makes the best pastry.
I will have the hide made into a rug by Jerry Huffaker, he has done one for me and has 2 more of mine in the freezer now. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

How do you take the bear meat out? On a plane? Driving? Dry ice?

Rich said they hunt the bear baits in the late afternoon. Is there small game to hunt in the morning? Or for my little guy to hunt if I buy him a small game license?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1
I do not think there is any small game in season, but you can check with Idaho Fish and Game web site. There might be some fishing, check with Stitch. I am driving so I bring the meat back in coolers with regular ice. I have brought back bear meat from Canada via commercial air travel. It was butchered, wrapped and frozen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE450No2,

Thanks. I'm considering driving, too.

May end up in a plane, though, as I'm coming from Maryland.

Steve

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Ok Nitro450, You have bugged me about using more firepower, so I am looking at buying a new barrel for my Encore. Thinking about a 405 Winchester pushing a 300 gr. soft point @ 2200 fps, with 3224 ft. lbs. energy. That ought to make any bear fart on impact! Barrel comes with open sights, which is perfect for the ranges we are looking at and the ammo is reasonable @ $ 29 / 20 w/o handloading.

Whatcha think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mughty Joe
That should be about perfect. thumb
I have shot a few big pigs with my 450/400 and 300 grain bullets at @2330fps. It hit them like the Hammer of Thor.
I shot my 375 today, scope and iron sights.