New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap scopes - any good at all?
 Login/Join

<AZOnecam>
posted
I've noticed a lot of inexpensive rifle scopes by Tasco, Simmons, etc. on Ebay. Most of them are under $100. Are these scopes any good? Once sighted in, will they lose zero? I'm looking for an inexpensive scope for a 25-06, for generally long range shooting. Would money spend on a cheap scope be thrown away?

Thanks,
Jason

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 won't really pound the scope so you could probably use a Tasco like the EXP or Worldclass. I've got a couple of hunting buddies that can't spend big bucks on scopes and they seem happy with them. I'd probably pass on the Simmons, I shot one this spring and can't find anything good to say about the optics. I also have a cheap Bushnell 1.5-4.5 that I put on my RSI as a temporary measure, it's worked out well for a year now so I haven't bothered to replace it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite less expensive scope is the Aetec, at about $150.

I agree that the Tasco World Class and World Class Plus are good inexpensive options.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My issue with inexpensive scopes is reliability.
If you are hunting you don't want to have to worry about if your gear is going to work, every time, when you need it.

Sure as heck, Murphys law will step in when you see the buck of your dreams and you pull up to shoot it with your rifle and your $80 Tasco and you miss then come back to find that your scope died on your last sight in shot before the hunt. Then that $80 scope gets really expensive.

Do the research, buy the most reliable scope you can in your budget, thats all you can do.

Some of the high price tag on the name brand stuff like Leupold and Swarovski has to be from all the money they spend on advertising. Not necessarily because the product is that much better.

My own opinion is that if you buy a good name brand scope over $250 you should have a good reliable scope. Less than that you may be taking a chance.

I'm sure there are lots of guys out there who own $80 Tascos that have gotten many years of use out of them without a hitch however.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "cheap" Asian-made scopes are, in my opinion, a total waste of money in a higher power variable. The power cam often affects the zero as it is moved, and the optics are nearly always "fuzzy" around the edges, especially at the higher powers. The variable power mechanism provides a lot of opportunity for moisture infiltration which can lead to internal fogging. Another problem with the cheap variables is widely varying eye relief as the power is moved, and critical eye placement.

On the other hand, quality glass is much cheaper to produce and purchase today than in previous years, and manufacturing methods are generally improved. This means that it is pretty easy to make an inexpensive scope with fairly bright and clear optics. So, if you stay away from the pitfalls inherent with the more complicated variable design and use a fixed power scope, you may find even the cheapest brands to be fairly clear and reliable. Ironically, almost none of the el-cheapos want to make and sell a plain 4x or a fixed of any power, which they can build and sell at a genuine value to the shooter.

In short, if you feel you need a higher-power variable for your .25-06, spend the money to move up to a more dependable brand. You can get a new Leupold VX-I for under $200, or you can find a similar used Leupold or older Redfield for somewhat less than that.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I just had a scope fail I will fill you in on my what my experience has told me. I had a simmons 3-9 initially on my 06 imp., not enough eye relief and over about 4 power scope would hit me in the forehead. The bushnell that just failed is a fixed 4, good looking scope, cost under 100 bucks, was real great at first. But took many more clicks to adjust then it should have, not 1/4 per click like supposed to be. Then this last weekend for no reason, with less than 20 rounds through the standard 06 it was on, it just went out of focus. No matter how much the ring is adjusted it stays out of focus.

I now have 6x weavers on 2 rifles, a couple of older used 4x weavers I bought, and just bought a used Unertl Hawk 4x for 90 bucks. Weaver scopes are inexpensive new and are very good. Buying used scopes is a very good way to go. You can find some great scopes for a good price. Remember that Leupolds have lifetime warranty, so picking them up used is good because you send to factory and they repair any functional/optical issues.

Inexensive scopes sometimes hold up, but for a little more you can take less of a chance. Just my opinion. (I can't afford expensive scopes either, I have never spend more than 150 or so on a scope, usually 125 and under).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About six years ago I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem mag. At the time I spent all my stash money on the rifle, so, I needed a scope to shoot it, and not being a real patient kind of guy by nature, I ran to Wal-Mart and picked up a simmons 3-9X32, for $27. My thinking was that I could at least shoot my new toy until the recoil killed the cheap scope , then I would probably have the money for a "good" one. Well The damn thing hasn't shifted zero in six years and I'm still waiting for it to die. Go figure. I have since purchased several more of these scopes and have not had a problem. I also own Leupold, Weaver, Tasco, Bushnell, and Nikon scopes, and the only ones I have had a problem with, have been Tasco World class. Both of them had the same problem, exessive recoil flattened the brass screw that holds the adjustment ring. tasco promptly replaced both. One was on my .375, and the other on a slug gun. I might add that both scopes retained their accuracy, they just ceased to adjust. I still prefer Leupold over all the others, but as long as it gets the job done...

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By inexpense we will assume "under 200.00" You can get the Burris fullfield II for this money or the new Leupold k-mart scope. For the 200.00 you can get a top end used scope. A cheapy will always cost way too much in the end.

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing horrible things about Simmons scopes too, but I've never had a problem with the half dozen Simmons cheapies that I own, and I've put them on all sorts of things from rimfires to shotguns. They're no Leupold as far as optics go, and eye relief isn't the best, but they seem to hold up. I can't say that about a few Tascos and Bushnells that I've trashed.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
If you go with a cheapy get a new one atleast you will have a little warranty that way. The cheaper scope makers dont have the best reputations for there service. I did buy a couple of old weaver k6 scopes off of ebay and no trouble so far. I sold one to a freind and he did a little research and told me that if we wanted we could send them to Weaver and they would rebuild them for around 60 bucks.
I consider myself the cheap scope king. I hope to upgrade someday to luepold or burris but for now I have the old weaver, a BSA, a wally world Bushnell and a Tasco World class which is getting repaired at the moment. They work good for me on my cheap rifles but I only go on cheap hunts.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't know what you are buying when you buy a cheap, used scope. They are being sold for a reason. Is it because the "rifle" won't hold zero, and the owner found out a different scope cured the problem ?
There are some good, inexpensive scopes. In the used scope area, look for the old steel tube Weavers. Often under $100 in 6X. Tough to find a used Leupold for under $100, but I've seen it done.
The new Weaver 6X scope are also a good, inexpensive scope. They sell for $130 from Midway. a good place to find deals at better price is often Samplelist.com.
A little higher on the scale, and I'd have to say the Bushnell Elite 3200 are a better deal than the Leupold VX-1. Better optically and just as tough. A Bushnell Elite you find used may well be an excellent buy. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on whether you get lucky or not. I've had Burris's for my 45-70's using my GORILLA loads and one for my 375 Ultra and they all have held very well and kept their adjustments and stayed at ZERO with no problem. I've had Leupolds, Swarovskis, and Zeiss and the 416 to 458 Lott would pound the SHIT out of them. Who knows. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

posted Hide Post
I'm not rich and probably never will be but....Given a choice, I much rather carry a cheap rifle (Savage) with quality optics (Leupold), than any custom jobby ever made wearing inferior optics, and in my experience Simmons, Tasco and their ilk are inferior. Save your pennys, hell, cut back on the beer and dining out if you have to but for gawds sake don't skimp on the optics. Do it right the first time and you'll never have a case of the " I shouldhaves". When I was first married I had something like three Leupolds and nine rifles, I transferred those scopes from one rifle to another because that's what I had. Yeah it was a pain in the arse but you do what you can do. I once made the mistake of going the cheap route...never again. About three years ago I was on an elk hunt in Wyo. It was a two hunters/one guide deal. Well to make a long story short the other guy drew first shot and missed a very good 6X6 three times on account of a crappy scope. I did'nt. Spend your money wisely up front and that's one less thing you have to worry about. Regards.

Posts: 7 | Location: PA | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Wow! A cheap scope thread with more input than just "cheap and good dont go together" a thousand times.. What some people dont seem to be able to fathom is that not too many guys who are forced to consider cheap scopes arent too likley to be going on $50,000 safaris with them anytime soon.

Ive used cheap scopes most of my days and they usually depart with the gun when its time to move on before they fail. The worst problem Ive had with them has been lousy eye relief on a hard recoiling rifle. (ouch!) [Eek!] The tascos Ive seen have seemed to be the worst in that aspect. Simmons IMO is a Bushnell for more $ with not as good of optics.

I like Bushnell Trophys for about $100.00 and old steel tube Weavers. Bushnell is a division of Bausch and Lomb, Simmons and Tasco are Martha Stewart affiliates.. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems the topic has been well covered. Most scopes now, of any major brand are on average better than the Best Scopes of yesteryear.

A 25/06 is not a real pounder for the scope. In my experience, the simpler the scope also the less problem potential.

EG: A 6 x18 versus a 3 x 9, in the same price range. I expect the 3 x 9 to be more durable.
Same price range, a 4x or 6x: these will be as durable as a $200.00 plus scope of the variable designs.

People knock Tasco and Simmons. However, I hope they do not expect Leupold/Nikon quality for a lower price. They also should know better than putting a Lower price scope of the Tasco/Simmons variety on a hard kicking Magnum. Same reason you would not go and buy cheap tires for your Race Car at Walmart. However those same tires may be great for driving around town at 30 mphs all day on some older car etc.

Use a little discression and a little common sense and the lower price stuff does just fine, if you are on a budget. Don't buy into the " keep up with the Joneses" attitude.

For rifle people there seems to be a "Scope Snobbery Crowd", if you buy a cheap scope and does not work out, then that is life. A good $200-$220 Leupold 3 x 9 will give you a lifetime warranty. But you can't compare a $69.00 new World Class with that, since Tasco is out of business. However, you can also buy 3 Tasco's for the price on one Leupold. Either route has its advantages and disadvantages. do what is best for you. [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZOnecam:
I've noticed a lot of inexpensive rifle scopes by Tasco, Simmons, etc. on Ebay. Most of them are under $100. Are these scopes any good? Once sighted in, will they lose zero? I'm looking for an inexpensive scope for a 25-06, for generally long range shooting. Would money spend on a cheap scope be thrown away?

Thanks,
Jason

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Mosts used scopes, and most used items on e-bay are way over priced.

There are two factors to consider when looking at cheap scopes, a) will they hold zero, b) is the glass clear enough to use it's magnification? I'd venture to say that a high quality fixed mag 6x scope will provide clearer viewing of game then a cheap 3-9 variable at 9X.

Cheap is also relative, my 2.5x leupold for $190 new a few years ago isn't a cheap scope, and is very clear, but a 6-24 for the same price would be cheap.

I've had both a 4X and 3-9x bushnell fail, though fortunately at the range.

Get a weaver or leupold 6x.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a couple of my rifles wear lower cost scopes, a Bushnell 3200 elite in a fixed 10X on my AR, and a Burris Fulfield II 1.75-5 on a 6.5X55 these are about as low end as I can recomend in good concience. on most of my rifles I generally figure the optics should be half of my budget

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a simmons aetec on my 7mm stw and it has performed so far. I know that it's not a leupold, but it is clear and has great eye relief. This is not a gun that sees a lot of range action, probably about 40-50 rounds a year. If it fails, maybe I can then afford something better. Just my 2cents.

one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
I am happy with my Bushnell Scopechief 6x20 $199, Weaver V16 $199, B&L Elite 3200 $179 (Walmart and I got a nice rain coat too).

I have many Leupolds, got rid of my cheaper Bushnells and Tascos, not to demean the owners of such scopes, I just saw a significant improvement in images and durability.

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two Simmons scopes. I have a 3-9X40 ProDiamond on my SIG 25-06. It has edge to edge clarity, no fuzziness at all. When I go to the range there are always a few guys who are intersted in my SIG, so I let them take a couple shots to see how they like it. Everyone of them has made comments on how clear the scope is and the edge to edge clarity is, in most guys words, "great"! I have shot a few rifles with the Leupold Vari X-II on them, and my Simmons is the equal of those as far as clarity goes, and reliability, so far that is. I have put over 400 rounds through the rifle without a hitch. It may fail, but it may not. It may not be in the same league with the higher end scopes, but it works great for me. My other Simmons is a 4.5-14X42, which I have yet to use. I got it as a Fathers day present, so I am not going to get rid of it. I just need a another rifle to put it on!

IMHO, buy what you can afford, and if it craps out on you, then thats life; but if it works for you, then that makes life great!

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
While I have always been a fan of Leupold over the last 30+ years of hunting in Texas, from time to time I've used some Tasco's and now a Swift 4x12 AO, plus some Leo's. One of the early 80's World Class Tasco's I had was a 1 1/2 x 4 that was mounted on a 7 lb SAKO 375 H&H carbine and it would flat bounce you around shooting 300 gr's. While it was not shot but several hundred rounds the little scope never broke down and I sold to a local cop. My nephew was still using a 3x9x36?Tasco World Class on a 270 for over 10 years until he dropped the gun climbing out of a tree stand and bent the tube and broke the rear lense, busted the Rem700's BDL stock too so he was not a happy camper!!! So I might not hesitate on an "upper grade" Tasco at a good price. The Swift 4x12x40 Premier was suspect until after I found out the reason the 300Wby it was on would only shoot 1" east and west but 4"s tall from shot to shot was because the Wby's bedding was screwed big time!!! but the scope stood up fine and is now on a 270Win and I can't tell that it has any problems as the Tikka shoots almost everything in one hole like it did when it wore a Leo. Are these lower end scopes as good as the Nikon Monarch's and Golds, Zeiss Conquest's or the Leupolds VII's or VIII's at range's under 200 yards like I hunt in 90/100 % of the time ... Yeah and way more than 90% of the time... but at 3-4-500 yards or at the extreme's of early or late light or in the black timber of Colorado... probably not, but then you can buy a more than a couple of Swifts or a whole passel of Tasco's for the price of a Leo VIII or a Zeiss and since the economy is in the shits for me I make old Abe scream every time I spend something on anything extra. A bumper sticker I saw recently here in Dallas sez it all...
"Please Lord let us have at least one more economic miracle...I promise not to piss it away again !!"

[ 08-25-2003, 00:38: Message edited by: verhoositz ]

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm part of the "save your penneys for quality" crowd. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. When I go hunting, it's for an extended length of time - 2-3 weeks for moose, 2+ weeks for sheep or elk. I need to know that all of my equipment is going to perform should something unexpected occur. These trips are relatively expensive as well. As was posted above, I too would rather hunt with a more inexpensive rifle but would demand a quality scope. Years ago, I used Redfield or Weaver scopes & could depnd on them. Nowadays, it's Leupold for me. There may be others on the market just as good or better but experience has shown me that I can depend on my Leupolds. I for one, am not willing to experiment with another brand on one of my extended and rather expensive trips. You do what you want but.....
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Boys,
Being a Leupold guy from way back, I saw a 6-24x40 BSA on Midways w/s, it was a refurb for 39.95, so I ordered one, not knowing what I may be getting into.
I mounted it on a blueprinted 700, in 22/250 AI and believe it or not,this is a fine scope until you get over 14-16 power, after that it gets very critical about eye alignment, but for 40 bucks, i'm plumb tickled. No fuzzy edges or any complaints. I know not many people have a good word for BSA, but I like this one.
First group with above went .221
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Azonecam
The way i look at it you get what you pay for.
But if i did not have a lot of money to spend i would go with vx-1 Leupold or burris fullfild in stead or buying a tasco or simmons off E-bay.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AZOnecam,

I buy on Ebay all the time and you are going to get what you pay for. You want a cheap scope you're going to get one. I just bought a Burris Signature II, NIB, 6-24x on Ebay and only paid $147.50 for it. Still has the factory warranty and all. Tasco is now owned by Bushnell and they may be ok but a number of the ones found on Ebay are old Tasco products and aren't worth the money. A POS. Why do you think Tasco went belly up? Do yourself and that .25-06 a favor and get a good scope. You'll not regret it. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
i own both a tasco and a simmons.

the tasco is a world class plus 3-9x44mm which is sitting on my herter's mj9 .308 phillipines manufacture). i am happy with it, and have had no problems. i got this scope from tasco after complaining about their chinese-manufactured 3-9x40mm silver antler scope.

-

the simmons is a 44mag 2-7x44mm (also phillipines manufacture) and sits on top of my marlin m336 in .30-30. this rifle and this scope are a prime whitetail combination, in my opinion. i have had no problems with it whatsoever. i bought this scope used FROM A GUY WHOM I HAVE GOOD FAITH IN who had only owned it for a short time and who wanted more magnification.

-

except for the conditions noted above, i would never buy a used scope, because as a previous poster said, you would NEVER know what you have, and if something were wrong with it, you would be out some money, and should have just bought a new one to begin with. a further exception might be a cope with a warranty similar to leupold, which is transferable from owner to owner.

one company which i believe is often overlooked is sightron. i own a sightron s1 3-9x40mm (japanese manufacture) and would have no trouble recommending it to anyone. for a good price, you get a scope which has great optics, durability and ability to hold zero. a further attraction is that it has a no-fault warranty identical to leupold's. this scope was used for a year on my herter's mj9, until i got the tasco WCP. i intend to put the sightron on my cz m550 american in .275 rigby for use this season or next.

all three of these scopes have served me very well, and were quite inexpensive. the caveat to this statement is that all have been on mild-recoiling rifles. i imagine that this might make a difference on a heavy-recoiling rifle, at least in the case of the tasco and the simmons. i have had no problems with any of my current scopes, but must admit that i have the most faith in the sightron.

the old saying "you get what you paid for" applies in MOST situationswhere scopes are concerned; however, there are a FEW expenisve scopes out there that are no better than the blister-packed scopes wou find at wal-mart. likewise, there are a few "cheap" scopes out there which perform just as well as the expensive ones. the best advice i can offer is to get the best scope that you can afford.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog
Not been a smart ass is that scope fullfild II. Never seen a Burris sigrature II and do want your mony back for it LOL.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
The story I got here in Dallas from some old retailer friends about Tasco going belly up was that they got in over their head trying to crack the telescope market and lost sight of their core riflescope business. Back when I ran a distributorship in the late 70's & early 80's we could not keep Tasco on the shelf and never had a return problem ...but couldn't sell Bushnell. I got totally out of the biz in '88
and everything today is topsy turvy compared to back then. I shot some Tasco samples for a couple years on everything from pipsqueak poppers to a 7lb 375H&H carbine - that really did knock me on my proverbial ass one day!!! Never had a Tasco shake loose but not always the clearest scope either but a darn good buy for the price.
One of my hunting partners just bought a Leupold VXII 3x9x50 2 weeks ago and the power ring would not turn under any circumstance ...it happens to every scope line we ever sold to some degree just more often in some breeds than others. Ask the same question about Weaver ...why have they gone in and out of business a couple times over the last 10-20 years? They also at one time owned a significant share of the market ...what happened??? Where is Redfields reputation for quality gone ???? So far the Swift I bought last year is holding up pretty good - was on a 300Wby and now a 270Win...and especially for the price I paid for a 4x12x40 A/O but I'll see and may have to eat some crow yet! LOLOLOL !! BTDT too.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SHORTMAG,

Sorry about the II. It is a Signature model, gloss with a target dot reticle. Had a Leupold on my mine that I was watching on Ebay while I was typing. Didn't get the Leupold. As for getting my money back, no my granddaughter is going to get it. I'm building her a silhouette rifle in 7mm-08 and this should work nicely. Finely came up with a left-handed M70 action suitable for the 7mm-08 cartridge. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog
That 7mm-08 is a good round good luck with your project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Simmons Aetec 3x 9 x 50 on a Rem 700/7mm.mag. It was on the rifle when I traded for it. It is very clear and works great in low light.

I bought a Nikon 4x for my Rem 700/ .30-06, I wanted a fixed 6x, but 4x is what was on the shelf, around $159.99. Very clear and brite.

I think I am going to all fixed power scopes on my big game rifles, less to go wrong.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a short speech about "you get what you pay for".

Not always.

Optics is a very well understood technology. No scope manufacturer has a secret recipe that lets them make a scope that others could not duplicate if they chose to do so.

Some of the good scopes are worth every penny. Some of the really high priced scopes are not a whit better than the good scopes.

Lenses and such are surprisingly cheap, and all come out of a few factories anyway.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Cabela's pine ridge 2-7x on a Ruger 6.5X55. Been that way for years. On harder recoil rifles I won't use anything but a leupolds (I can't afford a Swarovski and never will). I have several "cheap" Simmons, Bushnell and Tasco 3-9X scopes on various .22 rifles. They have been excellent performers also.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote