THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    climbing treestands on slick bark trees

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

climbing treestands on slick bark trees
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a climbing treestand that holds well to slick bark trees. I have used hand-on for years but wanted a climber. I live in Michigan and alot of trees are slick bark and besides it rains, Ice and snows a lot in Michigan. Is ther a brand of climbing treestand that will hold well in these conditions on relativly slick bark trees?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The Tree lounge will climb a steel well casing pipe and not slip, also will support as much as 1400 lbs. The Tree lounge is one strong well designed quality piece of hunting equipment. I believe the Summit tree stand is a close second on it's ability to scale any tree regardless of the bark. The key to safety is follow the manufacturers directions and you should be just fine. Most tree climbing stand accidents are the fault of the guy not reading the directions on how to use his new tree climbing toy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem using any brand of climbing stands on slick trees such as tulip poplar. I have had climbers slip on trees that have a loose bark such as pine or scaly bark hickory. Tulip poplar is my favorite tree to set a stand in because they are usually straight, uniform in size and have few limbs until you reach the canopy.

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Non-Typical tree stands. I have a clamp-on, but they make a top of the line climber also. They have a design that uses a swing arm as part of the cable that holds the tree no matter what the diameter is. No loose parts like the tree longe plus much lighter is a real plus. I have the tree longe and its for sale. Its very confortable but its not real easy to carry and use.
The non-typicals are top notch!!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Summit Viper and think it's an oustanding design. No problems with any types of trees (slick or not) to date.

The best way to describe the Viper would be comfy, quiet and quick! [Big Grin]

[ 10-12-2003, 20:22: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I use a Lone Wolf, never had problems with slipping on trees of any kind.
I have the old model with the aluminum v bar, the new models use a rubber belt. They are one of the lightest , compact I have ever used.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Eclipse,

I have used a Summit for a few years and would put it up against any tree but a must to use a climbin harness for safety...Good luck on your decision..

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader66:
The Tree lounge will climb a steel well casing pipe and not slip, also will support as much as 1400 lbs. The Tree lounge is one strong well designed quality piece of hunting equipment. I believe the Summit tree stand is a close second on it's ability to scale any tree regardless of the bark. The key to safety is follow the manufacturers directions and you should be just fine. Most tree climbing stand accidents are the fault of the guy not reading the directions on how to use his new tree climbing toy.

I wouldn't try that if I were you. I had a pretty nasty slip on a damp Sycamore tree with a Tree Lounge. 20 feet straight down, belt and all. The Summit will grip a Sycamore great - been there done that..

The big problem I have with the Tree Lounge is that since it already starts out with a downward taper - it is very easy to get into a position where it will slip. I rarely use mine anymore (2x last year) and strongly prefer the Summit Viper XLS. Not to mention, the TL is a complete pain in the ass to set up. I will be up a tree sitting with the rifle ready to go in the Summit before have even stepped into the TL.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eclipse,

For what you are asking the Summit will be much safer.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I bought a Summit Viper XLS after trying several other climbers and never looked back. I have climbed slick barked gray birch trees with it even in teh rain and have no problems. The comfort is great so staying in the stand for long durations is no problem.

I have never tried the tree lounge and from the looks of them I never will. The deer around here would spot those monsters in the trees with no problem. The deer around here have learned that humans hunt from above and routinuely walk through teh woods looking up. This is why I usually hunt 24+ feet off the groungd now.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
As Buzz mentioned the Tree Lounges are a royal pain in the ass. I used to have the older model and it was stable and latched onto the tree pretty well and so last year I purchased the "NEW" improved model which almost killed me as I did an elevator impression out of a sweetgum tree. That has been subsequently sold and I will not have anything to do with them ever again. Law suit waiting to happen with that brand. I would try a Summit , Ol Man, Lone Wolf , Centershot or any other brand rather than Tree lounge.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Something I learned about slick bark trees way back before Baker had the hand climber OPTION!

When one climbs a slick bark tree they should practice "shinnying down a tree and place the bow of firearm at a safe distance from the base of a tree also known as the landing zone. One may want to practice screaming like a little gurl before the the hunt. That way all the other hunters in the area will then talk about the gurl out in the woods and your "slide for life" will be your secret.

Now I have to say I never woke-up in the Baker treestand days . . . to do so meant one woke up in mid-air on as they hit the ground! I see fewer deer in todays stands, but get a LOT more rest!

LouisB

Soft thick rough bark is number 1, hard slick bark is number 2, telephone/power poles is number 9 (definitely not the place to have the rifle slung over the shoulder (as one of the states hunters found out several years ago (7600 voltsand the lightning /grond wire is on the pole)), and steel power poles are NUMBER 10.
LouisB

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Something I learned about slick bark trees way back before Baker had the hand climber OPTION!

When one climbs a slick bark tree they should practice "shinnying down a tree and place the bow of firearm at a safe distance from the base of a tree also known as the landing zone. One may want to practice screaming like a little gurl before the the hunt. That way all the other hunters in the area will then talk about the gurl out in the woods and your "slide for life" will be your secret. . . .

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Always keep a clear LZ [Cool] You haven't lived until you've combined "Baker" with "slick-barked" and "too slender"!!

The only tree within arrow distance of THE trail was too skinny AND too slick, but hey . . . I was young, I needed a deer.

It was hot, I was in a t-shirt, with all my camo in a shoulder pack, and my bow on the ground, I made it as high as the platform would grip and got a bungee cord around the hand climber above my head to secure it.

Holding on with my left hand, pack still over the shoulder, I bent down to secure the stand with another bungee when it let go. My feet, still strapped in, dropped out from under me, and the shoulder strap holding the pack slid down over my right shoulder, securing my right arm at my side. Hanging for a long second or two by the three fingers I still had engaged on the climber, my fingers straightened out and my descent began.

I started sliding/falling. I got my right arm up and tried to grab the tree with both arms, which was way too slick to grab with the climber, but plenty rough enough take meat off the inside of my bare arms.

I kept sliding/falling and there was nothing to grab. I finally, suddenly realized all I had to do was rock backwards for a grip. I did.

Holy Shit!! The stand, having descended to a point where the diameter of the tree was OK, and the bark roughened, grabbed the tree like it was nailed on. My heels hit the floor, then my knees buckled and then my ass hit the floor and I almost went off backward.

Damn, that was close, almost fell out of the damn tree. Whew. [Eek!]

Looking over my shoulder, I could now see that I was only about three feet off the ground. [Roll Eyes] Well, at least I wasn't hurt bad and didn't bust my stand. I stepped off the platform and took a break. Man, what a racket that must have made.

Standing on the ground, shaken up some, sweating and a little bloody inside my forearms, I might have called it a day if my climber hadn't been hanging fifteen feet up in the tree. Hell.

I got over it and shinnyed back up to the climber with the stand on my feet. This time the pack stayed down with the bow and I was very careful to tie in quickly. I figured that if I didn't go so high, and was more careful, I'd then haul my gear up and hunt it. I got the stand tied in really good, so it barely shifted when I moved. After that, it only dropped unexpectedly once more, about a half-inch.

After all that noise, and while I usually try not to touch the tree at all, I had a trail of skin and sweat all the way down that sucker, and then had to shinny back up to boot. I guess that since it was getting too late to move to another location, I better just hunt what I've got. I was still getting settled and looked up to see a deer heading my way. I was amazed to get the shot, but the deer seemed unaware of any disturbance.

[ 10-14-2003, 00:03: Message edited by: eshell ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
One may want to practice screaming like a little gurl before the the hunt. That way all the other hunters in the area will then talk about the gurl out in the woods and your "slide for life" will be your secret.
LouisB

LMAO!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote