THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mountain lion carcass found in Nebraska

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain lion carcass found in Nebraska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mountain Lion Carcass Found

TheOmahaChannel.com
GRETNA, Neb. - The carcass of a 6-foot-long mountain lion was found along Interstate 80 early Sunday morning. Authorities started getting reports of sightings of a live mountain lion at about 1 a.m. Sunday. Then at about 7 a.m., a report of a dead animal along the side of Interstate 80 was made by Mimi Lemmers.

Deputies found the carcass near the Gretna outlet mall exit. Lemmers said she was taking her son to hockey practice when she thought she saw something on the road.

"I said, 'Nick, there's a deer!' I got a little closer and slowed down and said, 'There's a mountain lion,'" Lemmers said.

At first, the 911 operator challenged Lemmers' find.

"I said, 'There's a dead mountain lion on the side of the interstate.' She said, 'Are you sure it's not a deer?' I said, 'Deer don't have paws,'" Lemmers said.

Sarpy County Deputy Brian Fjelstad arrived on the scene to take a look up close.

"I noticed the long tail and realized it was an actual mountain lion -- probably vindicated a lot of people calling in spottings in the last three or four weeks," Fielstad said.

Deputies believe the mountain lion, which may weigh as much as 130 pounds, got hit by a car. They pointed out that the carcass may not be the only lion people were seeing.

"We get enough sightings, I have every reason to believe there are more of them out there," Fielstad said.

Lemmers said she had heard of sightings, even near her Omaha home. She had some trouble believing them before.

"Now, maybe I'm a believer," Lemmers said.

Authorities will conduct an autopsy on the animal Monday. That should answer more questions about the animal's life and death.

District Wildlife Manager Pat Molini said a committee will decide what to do with the carcass. Some options include putting it in a museum, using it for research or for education.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
..."Now, maybe I'm a believer," Lemmers said...
Maybe???

Lets see here, she found the dead Couger and called the Law. The Law also sees it and she says "maybe" she believes they were/are in Nebraska.

Maybe one of those Hockey Pucks her son was whamming about smacked her upside the head.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've seen two while pheasant hunting near Greenleaf, KS.
MidWestCougars

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
That carcass was found about 17 miles from my house, basically southwest of Omaha proper. There have been numerous sightings around the Omaha area.

I saw one near Ft Robinson last year a day before deer season. Ft Robinson is in the northwestern part of Nebraska.

Nebraska, land of cows, corn, and cougars.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Its good to see the puma expanding its range... thumb

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my brother told me about this today(he lives in Omaha)--hard to believe after growing up there(Kings Lake) that mtn lions are settin up camp there, but where there's food kitty will follow---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, if I hit the cat, it would have been tossed in the back of the Pickup so I could have skinned it out. Not left on the side of the road....

jump

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy says he has seen tracks near our stand (north of Fremont about 25 miles) and told me to bring the .45 "just in case".

The owner of the land has asked us to shoot one if we see it, as he is concerned about his grandkids.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote