New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland Outfitter
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Any of you guys ever hear of Viking Trail Outfitters for Moose/Caribou/Bear in Newfoundland? I booked a hunt with them for this year a long time ago, and they say they have 100% success on moose. After talking with all the references, it sounds like this guy Martin House who runs the joint can't do any wrong. So when someone talks someone up this much, I get suspicious. Couldn't get who I wanted so I will give this guy a shot. After reading the horror stories on feedback forums, I am getting a little worried.

[ 06-21-2002, 04:05: Message edited by: bigcountry ]

<Phil R>
posted
bigcountry,
I don't know of that outfitter, But I've hunted Newfoundland several times and there are lots of moose. 100% is not unusual. The trick is to find big bulls! If all the references speak well of the outfitter, he's probably OK. Newfies are real nice folks...never met one I didn't like!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in Newfoundland also (with Roger Keough of Parson's Pond Outfitters) and that's been my experience, too. The island is too small and everyone is too well known to get away with anything untowards for too long.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Theres two sides to every story, but my experience wasn't as good. Avoid Dave Toms out Bishop Falls and thats all I got to say about that.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
big
I mean Dave Toms from Bishop Falls, I haven't used nor do I know Viking trail.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I hear more bad reports of hunts coming out of Newfoundland than any other province, state or country.

Just my experience.

BTW, Bigcountry, I checked every source I have and could not find good or bad reports on your guy. Have a good hunt.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
I would be extremely careful. Last September I had the misfortune to spend a small fortune with a guy (Bill Bryden) who talked a good game and then ripped us off big time. Go to www.huntinfo.com and look under the outfitter reviews. You may find some references. Newfoundland is small and stories do get around but these guys don't go out of business just because they have a bad rep in their province. My outfitter was (or is) a poacher and several others he knows are poachers. I get the impression that it is not a well regulated business.

I have read extremely good things about Dean Macdonald of Moose Valley. Several references have hunted with him more than once. You'll find that on Hunt Info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto on Dean McDonald. I went with him 2 years ago and going again this yer. Not a better outfitter or man than Dean.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Guys, thanks for the time to reply. Herald, your story about Bill Bryden in anohter post is the reason i started worrying. I think I will just give the guy a try unless some dirt is raised on him. Thanks a bunch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can add me to the list of folks that had a less than great time in NF. I must be the only person that hunted for a week and saw zero moose. Actually I did see a couple of bulls, but they were grazing along the highway just outside the airport.

If I had a do-over, I would save my bucks for a moose hunt elsewhere.

If you have to go, don't go during the period that Canada has its Thanksgiving--you will have to wade through the resident hunters to get to the hills!

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote