Find
Notify
Tools

Polar bear 1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted
My best friend just came home from Greenland where he went on a hunting trip of a lifetime
 -
On the way looking for Polar beers they shot some seals, just for eating and to take with them. The land or should we rather say the Ice was beautiful  -

-  -

It was only a small boat

-

The trip was supposed to be for 12 days and on the day 8 they found a polar beer or rather hr found them. My friend was sitting at the steering wheel holding guard and the other two men where sleeping: the boat was tied to a Ice burger and suddenly he sees something move outside the window just one meter from where he was sitting . He jelled for the other ones to wake up and grasped the riffle and run outside where he sees the beer dive in the see. He sent an 180gr ORIX from the 300WM Saco, he was holding and broke its sholderblade and then decided to wait until the beer was back on the Ice. He run 600 meters after the beer and shoots him three more times

-

-

Now the job of getting the Bear back to the boat, they tried pulling with the boat and after one or two hours just decided to take him a part on the side.

More to come

[

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that Solvi, great pics and it looks like the trip of a lifetime.

Now I wonder if I might ask a question, who was the ding dong that got the names of Iceland and Greenland backwards when they were named? [Big Grin]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
What does seal taste like?

I've been around about a zillion and a half of seals, but I've never snacked on one. Are they like a fishy steak?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
I'd leave the liver(s) alone on both the seal and polar bear... should be common knowledge in Greenland and perhaps Iceland.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures solvi!

Wstrnhuntr.

I can be wrong here but I think the general idea about the names on Iceland and Greenland was to confuse settlers that looked for new places to raid. The people that explored this area (vikings) came up with this idea. If they called the place thy found really ruff and mostly covered with ice greenland and vise versa with iceland they would be left alone on iceland [Smile]

Solvi probably have more accurate info on this one [Razz]

Stefan

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great hunt ! Deciding where you want to be on the food chain. I've eaten seal only once and that was with a strong barbeque sauce so it was hard to tell how strong a flavor the seal had. As for the names Iceland and Greenland - remember that the climate was much warmer when the vikings went there, but then things got gradually colder. The climate change was the major reason that the settlements in Greenland didn't suvive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the olden days Wheat was grown in Greenland and Grapes in Scotland. Of course this was before Global Warming came along and froze everything. [Wink]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote