Find
Notify
Tools

Barret into the USA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear Guys

Do you see any issue with bringing a barret 338 lap into the USA.

Looking at doing a long range elk hunt with it.

Thanks Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This what you are talking about?????
http://www.tactical-life.com/o...-m98b-338-lapua-mag/

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Where are you planning on doing the elk hunt?

If ypou have a state picked out, contact their Game and Fish department and see what they say.

You will get factual information that way, not guesses.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No issue binging it in to the US. As for individual states the only restrictions I know of are a few states do not allow hunting with 50 cal BMG. And nearly all states do not allow full metal jacket bullets of any caliber for big game hunting. Of course it will be a good idea to check with the state in question. But I highly doubt there will be any problems.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Olbiker

Yes that is the one.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Here is how Colorado state law reads on the subject.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a lot of rifle to be lugging around.I can see no problem with bringing it in.There are a few States that do not allow hunting with a semi-auto and some States have laws on The ammo-capacity of your magazine if used for big game.I think California has all kinds of restrictions on semi-autos.The others that I know are Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In MN the only issue with that rifle would be the size of the magazine, assuming you would be in a rifle zone. I think lots of states limit the rifle to 5 rounds, but otherwise, its not a .50 BMG (which some states don't like) and under US rules in general, its just a bolt action rifle.

I think if you get the magazine capacity capacity issue clarified, you should be OK from that (hunting)end, but then getting it in the country might be a different issue- I have no clue what our import laws are like, and lots of guns that are legal to hunt with have been determined to have "no sporting purpose" based essentially on looks.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you can get it back out too!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Thats a lot of rifle to be lugging around.I can see no problem with bringing it in.There are a few States that do not allow hunting with a semi-auto and some States have laws on The ammo-capacity of your magazine if used for big game.I think California has all kinds of restrictions on semi-autos.The others that I know are Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Just FYI, it's a bolt-action.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mistake.I know Barret 50 is semi-auto and assumed this was also.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
No issue in California for huntiing with the 338 laoua round. Any centerfire cartridge bolt gun except for a 50 BMG may be brought into CA and used for hunting. No magazines greater than 10 rounds may be imported into CA.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote