New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf huntz-ideas where?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi there, and good weekend to all. Now to the serious business. I am big time Jonesing for a hunt for wolves.
First off I absolutely want to do it by calling and secondly I would really like to go to an area where I can shot more than one.

I'm not crazy about the idea of using sleds but will to get around a bit, not to chase though. Also am not gonna get involved with one of the baiting operations-not my style.

So thoughts? Any body out there done any of this?

Gracias!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

P.S. I have already called in 4 here in Montana but alas couldn't shoot them (legally) hear rumors that in time will be able to though!

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R Dobrenski:
Hi there, and good weekend to all. Now to the serious business. I am big time Jonesing for a hunt for wolves.
First off I absolutely want to do it by calling and secondly I would really like to go to an area where I can shot more than one.

I'm not crazy about the idea of using sleds but will to get around a bit, not to chase though. Also am not gonna get involved with one of the baiting operations-not my style.

So thoughts? Any body out there done any of this?

Gracias!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

P.S. I have already called in 4 here in Montana but alas couldn't shoot them (legally) hear rumors that in time will be able to though!

The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge and Kenai National Moose Range have a rapidly expanding Wolf population Bag limit, 5 total,only 2 from KNWR, season Aug 10--April 30 all of unit 15!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any chance you have any more info?
Does it get much pressure?
Hide condition?
Need an outfitter or Alaskan res?
Are there any outfitters working it?
Nearest towns?
Quite a few wolves or no?
That you know of anyone doing any calling for em?

Many thanks!!

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Heya Dog... saw on the news yesterday that the Feds are considering turning wolf management over to the state of Montana in 2004... apparently FWP is accepting our "input" on their website. I haven't checked it out yet, but we may end up with some sort of limited drawing like with goats, etc... that would be good!

I'll give you a jingle tomorrow... just got back from the Mel Gibson movie, "We Were Soldiers"... very good.

Brad

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 03-17-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R Dobrenski:
any chance you have any more info?
Does it get much pressure?
Hide condition?
Need an outfitter or Alaskan res?
Are there any outfitters working it?
Nearest towns?
Quite a few wolves or no?
That you know of anyone doing any calling for em?

Many thanks!

Kenai/Soldotna are the closest towns. Call the K.N.W.R. or ADFG office in SOLDOTNA 907-262-9368 http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/adfghome.htm. I have had 2 come in while cottontail & or snowshoe squealing for Yodle dawgs ,. No guide or resident babysitter required. I dont know of anyone Outfitting for Wolves? I have seen 8 while moose hunting in the swanson river Oil Patch and cut lots of tracks ! Most travel is on foot/snowshoes in the Kenai Nat. Moose Range/Oil patch, unit 15a. Unit 15b & 15c is mostly KNWR you can use snowmachines to get off the road.
you can email me for more info!
Hide cond. varies/a few with mange!
Good luck!

Dog

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I have some research to do but I do feel a raod trip north a coming on.You ready to go Brad?

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of good wolf calling here in Alaska some of the better places is unit 13 and unit 20D these are major wolf problem areas there is not many that call wolves I do and i use a wild life tec system when i need to add more wolves to sucker the pack.

The coast is $85 dollars for the main hunting tag and $35 dollars per wolf tag there is also a good chance to pick up lynx while hunting wolves you can take one cat on the same lience with no tag execpt having it sealed when you leave the state if you have any extra questions please feal free to reach me at wolfhunter@wolf-web.com you do not need a guide to hunt wolves but you do need to get some what of the road system I hope this helps have a good weekend:Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote