New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Hunt wanted!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This year, EXPRESS and I are looking for a 6 -10 day Moose hunt during October - any AR reader or Outfitter like to contact me with offers or suggestions?

We are both primarily interested in taking a good Moose - but will happily grab the chance for Bear/Wolf/Coyote if the opportunity is presented.

At this time, we are seriously looking for a guided package - time is getting short!

Hoping that this post turns up the ideal hunt - I have been lurking these forums long enough to respect all your opinions! [Wink]

Rgds Ian

[ 04-11-2003, 23:41: Message edited by: IanF ]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I sent an AR member to Alaska last year for a nice moose hunt. I can certainly help you out.

If you would send me your email addy I will be happy to send you some more information.

Email me here: aspenhill@triton.net

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I know of a couple good places to hunt BIG moose in the Yukon. The month to hunt them is Sept. I don't know if that is a problem or not.
One area I have guided and hunted my self. Of the last 40 moose taken, the average was 62". There are bears and wolves. No coyotes exist. Fishing is excellent.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a moose in my front yard at the time. Please send mailing address, and LOTS of stamps.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys - thanks for the immediate response - Please, keep the suggestions coming as I am keen to gain a good idea of the pros and cons of hunting the various areas on offer.

I will be replying to all that take the trouble to post or mail me & my profile holds an valid email for those inclined towards fast answers!!

Again - many thanks for the replies so far!!

Rgds Ian [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Northern B.C. is a fine area.I hunted with prophet muskwa outfitters in 95 and turned down several bull moose each day.I also turned down six point elk each day.I ended up taking a 49" moose and a huge elk in eight days of hunting.I can also recomend taku outfitters in north western B.C.I was hunting grizzly in 97 but saw several moose as well as grizzly,goat,stone sheep and black bear.I took a grizzly and a wolf on the hunt and turned down several black bears.He doesn't take as many moose but the bulls he takes are the biggest that I have seen on average for canada moose.Both of these outfitters provide great hunts that are virtually 100% successful but they are not bargain basement hunts.

[ 04-13-2003, 05:09: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Stubble

I've hunted that same area but none guided. It's quite simply the best area I've had the privledge to experience yet!

I've heard that Prophet Muskwa is top notch. I can remember one bute after another comming in on the airstrip from that operation. Also found a friend I had'nt seen in years wrangling for them. He was terrified of flying. I shook his hand and wished him luck as he jumped in the plane.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have contacted both Prophet and taku - awaiting more info - Guys - any suggestions are really welcome - please keep them coming!

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner - U got mail! Further details would be appreciated! [Smile]

Guys - I've a had a few responses, but Ann was the only outfitter who came back on this one - I am really keen to explore ANY options. Please take the trouble to post your offers,ideas - or recommendations!

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
To be honest most outfitters are in the bush right now getting their bear hunts going.It may take a little while for some to get back to you.I set up my hunts during the winter as it makes contacting outfitters much easier.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that - makes sense of the lack of response to someone trying to offer business! Rgds Ian

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I have some great Moose hunts in northern BC. Big Moose and reasonable price. I will e-mail the info.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian, I've got 3 different outfitters in western Canada that should be able to meet your needs, drop me an email at arctic.safaris@nt.sympatico.ca

~Arctic~

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted w/ Curly Warren of Stoney River Lodge in AK last fall for caribou & black bear. he runs first rate hunts and nearly everyone that goes after moose comes home with a 60" or better bull.

I'd give him high marks. You can do an internet search for Stoney River Lodge.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ian - the best place in canada for moose is northern BC or the Yukon. You can look at a list of the outfitters for these regions at the guide association of bc webpage:

http://www.goabc.org/01search/01index.html

click on search by region and select the outfitters in the skenna, peace, nwt or yt regions. Most of them have webpages. After you click one of the names in blue a little window at the top will open and if you click the little spinning globe in the top left corner, it'll take you to their page.

The best time to hunt in northern BC will be about the end of sept or the first week in oct (during the rut). For that time, the guys I know will be full for sure for this year. Most of the outfitters will give you a coyote/wolf tag and you can usually add a black bear tag with no problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy hunting.

Posts: 8 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian F,
Widrig Outfitters, Rogue River Outfitters, Bonnet Plume Outfitters. Book a hunt with one of them and you will have a good hunt and most likely kill a big moose. I have worked for Widrig and Rogue. Much of their area has never been hunted. Widrig's area has never had any resident hunting due to it remoteness. He has a nice website, as well.
I have updated my profile, so if you need more info, E-mail me.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,
Are you still guiding for Chris Widrig? I have a moose hunt booked with him in 2004. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TTS,
No, unfortunately not. Chris is pissed at me for not showing up last year. I cancelled 3 days before the season due to illness and left him hanging without a guide.
A guy has to be in his area too truely appreciate it. I will miss it. You will have a good hunt.

What part of sept. did you book?

Daryl

Daryl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,
My hunt starts on Sept. 11. I think it is the second of three weeks. Chris figured it should be during the peak of the rut. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TTS:
Daryl,
My hunt starts on Sept. 11. I think it is the second of three weeks. Chris figured it should be during the peak of the rut. TTS

TTS,
Chris tells all his moose hunters that. [Big Grin] Excellent, you do have the best slot for moose hunting. All Widrig's moose hunt time slots are good but the one you got yours booked is my favorite. Maby if I grovel and don't bad mouth him to bad, I may be able to guide his moose hunts in 2004.
He does have this spot that I have been dieing to hunt that has never been hunted from the research that I have done. A guy just has to put some good miles by horse to get there. The neighboring outfitter whom I worked for as well, has claimed on several occasions, to have seen some giant bulls there.

Daryl