New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smartwool?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For my Oct. musk ox/caribou hunt the outfitter says to bring some merino wool thermals, wool gloves and some heavey wool socks. After doing a little research I ran across the name Smartwool. Is this stuff any good? Where is the best place to buy it?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Save some money.

Duofold 100% Merino Wool Top
Duofold 100% Merino Wool Bottoms

You can get them for $19.95 a piece over the phone.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smartwool makes nice stuff - kind of pricey but really nice. There are cheaper sources of Merino wool, I love it as a layer that is very flexible for temperature, Jackfish has it right.

That said my smartwool socks are the first out of the drawer.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word.....Filson.

From the underwear to the Mackinaw Cruiser and Bibs...Filson wool is all you need. The only Smartwool I have ever purchased is their heavy mountain climbing socks. Those things are fabulous! $20 per pair though. Frowner

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
i use duofold for thermals, but Smartwool for socks. the Smartwool is fantastic. Warm and soft but absolutely no itch like a lot of wool products.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Save some money.

Duofold 100% Merino Wool Top
Duofold 100% Merino Wool Bottoms

You can get them for $19.95 a piece over the phone.

Thanks for the link, if only they had my size Frowner bawling

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I read where you used sorel boots on your bison hunt, any model you'd recommend?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

Call up Wasatch Workwear in Salt Lake City and as them if they still carry a non-catalogued steel toe/steel shank, black, -100 degree Sorel work boot. Man, those things are amazing. I don't know if Sorel still makes this particular model but they work! I added an extra layer of Sorel insulation under the footbed and was nice and toasty at -30. I imagine any waterproof and -100 Sorel (like the Chieftain) would be great.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Smartwool?

An ole Indian was sitting in front of his farm
when a animal psychiatrist stopped.He walked up
to the Indian and asked if he could speak to
his horses.The Indian said "horse no talk,go
ahead."

The doc comes back after a few minutes and said
the horse liked it here.Lots of hay to eat,water
to drink.He got exercise and was happy.

The Doc asked to speak to the dog.The Indian said "dog no talk,go ahead." After a
while the Doc came back and told the Indian
the dog liked it too.Plenty of kibble to
eat.A clean place to sleep.He hunted with his
master and lay at his feet at night.Falling asleep while getting his head petted.

The Doc asked to speak to the Indians sheep.
Indian said "sheep lie."

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I use Smartwool socks exclusively when hunting. They're very durable, warm and comfortable. They also seem to hold their loft (and insulating abilities) longer than any other sock I've tried. If you're on a long trip, you can wear them two or three days before the fibres start to compact.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try alpaca fleece...softer, lighter and warmer than wool, repels water just the same without lanolin in wool and doesn't itch against your skin. Google can find it for you.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get smartwool and never look back

I have 4 pairs that I use for hunting/hiking, and have used them for going on 4 years and the only ones close to wearing out are the light hikers. I was amazed at the support that you can get from a sock!!!! They are expensive, but I look at them as an investment...they don't pack out (compact) as fast as a normal wool sock, and the elastic in the calf portion never gets loose (a problem I've noted in other wool socks). Do yourself a favor and get some ASAP. My roommates have also found some socks from HEAD (R) and they have the consistency of Smartwools-the roommates love them, but they haven't been in Costco for about 2 years. Good luck finding them!

Can't sing enough praise about smartwool socks!

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got about over a dozen pairs of Smartwool socks, they're the only boot sock I've been wearing for several years, get mine from Cabelas, they have the best price on em, well below what retail stores sell em for. They also have their own version of em that has identical wool content to the Smartwool brand and cost even less, other than having Cabelas imprinted on them, are the same as far as I can tell.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been to the top of 15 of the fourteeners in Colorado, hunted Africa, Alaska, Colorado, Alberta, climbed the high points of all the states east of the Mississippi and Smartwool is on my feet every step of the way. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Smartwool. Yes.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Best investment you can make for your feet.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote