Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone flown with rifles lately???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
We're flying out tommorow and upon checking airline regulations(Continental) we found that there is a 62" linear restriction on luggage (LxWxH=62") or a $50 surcharge is imposed. Seems pretty impossible to NOT have to pay this charge.Is this just a Continental Airlines thing or a TSA thing and are they enforcing it ???

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
It is airline policy, doesn't have anything to do with TSA.

Most airlines give you an exemption from the 62" rule for sporting goods. I've flown with a Tuffpak twice (though never on Continental) and they never charged me for excess baggage.

Although it doesn't address the 62" exemption, here is the info from Contintal's website on traveling with firearms.

Firearms
Continental accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer in lieu of one piece of free baggage. All items must be properly encased in a suitable container. One item of shooting equipment, whether presented in a single container or not, is defined as one of the following:

Rifles - 1 rifle case containing not more than 2 rifles (with or without scopes), 11 pounds of ammunition, 1 shooting mat, noise suppressor and small rifle tools.
Shotguns - 1 shotgun case containing not more than 2 shotguns and 11 pounds of ammunition.
Pistols - 1 pistol case containing not more than 5 pistols, 1 pistol telescope, noise suppresser and small pistol tools.
The following are firearm restrictions:

Firearms are not accepted to/from Israel.
For travel to/from the United Kingdom pistols must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.
Customer must demonstrate in an isolated area that the firearm is unloaded.
The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.
For travel to/from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
For domestic travel, no more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
Continental is not liable for damage to firearms that are not contained in hard-sided cases.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for firearms that are not contained in hard-sided cases.

NOTE: Continental employees will not physically handle any firearm during the inspection. After inspection has been completed, the customer must sign a Firearm Declaration Tag.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I traveled with Continental 2 months ago - to Texas. They charged me an extra $75 for my hard case - both directions. Make that $150 total.

I have yet to be charged extra traveling with Northwest except for extra weight charges - per bag. I used the same hard case when traveling with both airlines.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fly American all the time with a big 2.5 gun aluminum gun case with wheels and have yet to be charged extra for it.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
<whisler>
posted
Flew in may and sept. of 2002 with Northwest and Delta. Did get charged for overweight but not for double rifle case...thats been 12 months and things change. Funny thing, I only got charged going to Montana, not coming back with Northwest. Same exact luggage in May and Delta told me I was a hair over but they would not charge. Guess it depends on who's at the counter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Continental has had a surcharge on guns for several years now. When the lady told me they would charge me $75 for my guns I told her they would never get any business from me. So far I've kept my word.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew with Northwest in sept had 3 rifles and two hand guns in one case not problems. ammmo went in seperate baggage just because it worked out better that way.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Flew Delta from Colorado Springs to Atlanta to Montreal and returned. No problems and no extra charges with a LARGE two-rifle aluminum wheeled case. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SoCal to Mizzurah on Southwest with a 2 rifle SKB wheeled case. No extra charges. Last I checked it was 70 lbs for overweight bags. Ammo limit is 11 lbs. and must be in factory boxes. Pack the ammo on top of the bag for when they want to see it.

Them TSA oxygen wasters are the biggest impediment for flying with guns now. [Mad] I always ask the ticket counter person if they want me to leave the case unlocked or locked when I take the case over to get it scanned in the bomb scanner. Of course the TSA rent a cop always has to point out they want the lock in the OTHER position no matter what the counter people tell you.

This trip was unique, the dipstick TSA clown scolded me for having the bolt closed on my rifle even though the shotgun also had the pump action closed. It prevented the trained monkey on the scanner viewer from seeing if the gun was unloaded. I pointed out to TSA genius #1 how I had just brandished the rifle, shotgun and pistol in front of the whole lobby to show it was unloaded at the ticket counter. This just put genious #1 in stutter mode. [Roll Eyes]

Un-frigging believable. [Eek!]

These are the same jokers who stand at the business end of said guns while their buddy roots through your gun case so that if there was a discharge it will blow a nice hole in their chest.

One other tip on traveling with guns. Some airports send the gun cases out on the carasel and some hold them in the lost baggage office for pickup. Hustle down to the carosel as fast as you can cuz some airports don't even check claim tickets. Anybody dirtbag seeing that nice gun case can walk out with it while you're taking a pee after a long flight if the case beats you to the carosel, which has happened to me more than once.

One last thing to ponder, them bomb scanners are useless according to a buddy who did 25 years in military EOD and was in on R&D of them. Only a dog can sniff the stuff. The last SCI show in Reno was a good example. Sunday after the show as everyone with gunpowder residue on them flew out, not one I saw tested positive. Every other person had guns with them.

And to the dern jihadists for making shoe bombs, which makes me have to take off my shoes at the airport security exposing my stinky holey socks, why couldn't you have used hats instead?

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I travel with Northwest and most of the time have no problem. A gun case used to be allowed with two pieces of luggage. Now that has changed along with the weight restrictions. I find that a lot of ticked agents do not know the rules. I had a case where they shipped my guns out but would not ship them back. It seems the girl that shipped them out did not know all the rules but the ticket agent on my retun flight did, and she would not ship them back. (Long story but I finally got the guns on the flight)

My advise is to go to Continental web site and print out the rules. Make sure your bags fit into these rules. Have a copy of the rules with you to show the ticket agent. Before 9-11 they would be somewhat relaxed on the rules but after 9-11 they have been getting a little sticky on the rules. Especially on the number of bags and weight.

I also have a bag that will not fit into the 62" rule when it is fully packed. I make sure it's not fully packed and below the 50 weight limit and have had no problem.

The 50# weight limit is a real killer if you are allowed only two bags and one checked item and one of thoes bags must be your gun case.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fly all the time with guns and have never had a problem..Mostly Delta, Northwest,KLM, SAA and Southwest...Continental has never charged me for my Tuff Case...not so far.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last two trips I have taken my regular hunting rifles out of their stocks (these are NOT take down rifles), and put them into a short aluminium case that then goes into the bottom compartment of my suitcase.

It seems to ease both the inspection of the weapon (it is in pieces), and makes the package much less conspicuous.

I then sight the rifle back in upon reassembling it, but it doesn't go far out of zero (perhaps an inch at most at 100 yards).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Alaska a few years back and didn't know that the airline would hold our guns in lost baggage 'till we claimed them. When I couldn't find my rifle, I went ballistic. All was well in the end, though.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
[QB
Although it doesn't address the 62" exemption, here is the info from Contintal's website on traveling with firearms.

The following are firearm restrictions:

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.

Terry[/QB]

I fly Continental almost exclusively, and have never been charged for my firearms (carried in Cabella's heavy-gauge aluminum 2-rifle case). The last time I flew with rifles was February, 2003. Friends have had the same positive experience.

However, I would warn that the above comment about ammunition is not to be believed. On the February trip, one of my companions believed the website and enclosed a box of 30-06 ammo with his rifle. I was later waived over by a counter clerk (fortuitously, she had later been reassigned to the gate for our flight and remembered my face--otherwise, we would have been problems, since they paged my friend at the ticketing area but not at the gates), and told that he had to contact customer service because "he had a loaded rifle in his case." I knew that couldn't be true, and it turned out that what they wanted was for him to remove his ammo from the rifle case and put it in his other bag. The attendant was a bit snippy about having to accompany him through the baggage area, but quieted down after he pointed out that he had only done what the Continental website advised.

The above all relates to LaGuardia as a departure point; experiences in Houston and San Antonio have also been positive (one San Antonio ticket clerk giving out hog recipes while checking us in--something you'd NEVER hear in New York). I can't comment on other airports.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have flown extensively on American, Northwest, and U.S. Airways, with no problems. I have never flown Continental. I also have a daughter that works for an Airline, she says 90% of all problems start with the ticket agent and their experience, or lack thereof. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've flown on a bunch of airlines with rifle cases or a Tuffpak and never had a surcharge.

Most entertaining experience was last week, flying back from Sioux Falls, SD on the Monday after the pheasant opener. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to use my intended line, "Yes, I have a firearm to declare, just like everybody else here."

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote