Notify
Tools

Hunting in Wyoming For a Brit?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

My missus picked up a freinds photo book the other day and looked at their pictures of this beautiful state. The result is she want to go and is trying to "convince" me by signing off on some hunting!!!

Apart from the Deer, what else is there to hunt?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about anything you want. Deer, antelope, moose, elk, upland birds, prairie dogs, and I think, bears. Do some checking on the state web site, I think you are just another non-resident. Antelope can be 100% draw in some areas if you are not looking for a record book animal. Prairie dogs are always fun.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Here is the fish & game web site. If you are going to hunt in 2006 you need to start the process SOON!!! If you need help with anything let me know. I love to see people come out there and enjoy their selves. If you don't hunt try to make your trip in the last half of July. That way you can catch Cheyenne Frontier Days.

http://gf.state.wy.us/

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolves and Grizzly bears

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you saw pictures of beautiful country in Wyoming, then the pictures must have been taken in Western Wyoming. The areas in Western Wyoming are harder to draw. Deer would be the first choice for biggame, as the permit is easier to draw. Then would come antelope and finally elk. Unless you are going with an outfitter, then deer or elk would fit the need.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
AW, come on now, we have some spectacular places here in the NE also!!!Devils tower and the Black Hills!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Brit's protected? I thought they were on the protected list since 1776. Do you have to draw for a tag or are they over the counter? How much are non-resident Brit tags? Can you hunt them without a guide in a wilderness area? Is baiting with fish and chips allowed? Confused

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Brit's protected? I thought they were on the protected list since 1776. Do you have to draw for a tag or are they over the counter? How much are non-resident Brit tags? Can you hunt them without a guide in a wilderness area? Is baiting with fish and chips allowed? Confused

M16,

You are way off. We can still kill them ... well, in Texas we can, not sure about out West. But they must be behind a high fence to make it legal.

Check your local Brit laws before killing any in your home state. Big Grin

Posts: 6258 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come over and enjoy! beer

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Fallow,

Go for one of these pretty creatures:

I just did this last October. I had a blast and was in some beautiful country. The Wind River Range is behind me. I can tell you the sun doesn't shine that bright where I come from, heck no one has seen the sun here in 20 days now.

There's good trout fishing as well, awesome accomodations that your wife would really enjoy. My outfitter also has great elk, deer, bear,sheep and moose but you need to get your draw applications in now. If you need help, let me know.

~Ann

Posts: 19214 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Well, only if you hunt Brokeback Mountain. Other than that, there is: pronghorn antelope, elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, turkey, black bear, mountain lion, upland game birds, shooting prairie poodles, and coyote. Watch out for gay sheepherders when bending over gutting your kill. animal

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
M16,

You blew all your fair chase, widerness hunting mumble with the baiting with fish and chips..... Now that is just plain unsporting!! you gotta give em a teeny weeny chance.... Wink

My main interest would be sheep moose or Elk. I'm getting the feeling that getting a tag is nigh on impossible though?? Especially in that order.

Also what's the deal with the Mountain Lions? how are they hunted?

Rgds,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lions might be a good choice they are run with hounds mostly. Lic over the counter season runs until the quoted is filled.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You blew all your fair chase, widerness hunting mumble with the baiting with fish and chips..... Now that is just plain unsporting!! you gotta give em a teeny weeny chance....

It's great to see some people on this board can take a little ribbing and have a good sense of humor! Sorry about hijacking your thread and adding nothing of value to the content but I couldn't resist. Good Luck on your adventure.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
M16,

My father owned a few Fish and chip shops over the years so I virtually grew up in the back kitchen....

It probably tickled me more than normal!! Wink

BTW Everybody, thanks for the help on this. And also for all the PM's. there is a plan in the making..... clap

Rgds,

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Next door in Idaho, there are lots of over the counter elk tags, as well as high percentage draw elk hunts. Cow elk are a gimme in some hunts. Most over the counter bull hunts are 10 to 15% success rate.

Also mule deer and white tails, over the counter and pretty good odds of getting one. Many regions run their deer and elk seasons at least partly concurrently. Some good odds on moose by draw (spendy).

For info, http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/. Email if you have questions.... HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, only if you hunt Brokeback Mountain. Other than that, there is: pronghorn antelope, elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, turkey, black bear, mountain lion, upland game birds, shooting prairie poodles, and coyote. Watch out for gay sheepherders when bending over gutting your kill.

You have Wyoming confused with Colorado! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
You could swing through Montana and hunt also. Big country, same species of wildlife to hunt.

Check MT, Fish, Wildlife and Parks

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote