Find
Notify
Tools

My first mule deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
This was the result of my first mule deer hunt. We were tent camping in New Mexico, unit 29, on BLM land. This is some desolate land, tough to hunt and plain tough to even move around in without landing on your backside all the time. The hills are mostly loose shale and coming from nearly sea level the 6000-6500 ft altitude just about did me in! This was on day #3 of my hunt, about 3PM.

I was standing and taking a break, watching a saddle and small canyon between 2 hills while my hunting partners walked around the far sides of said hills. This guy saw one of my companions and snuck over the hill away from him...and right into my firing line. My friend never even knew he had scared up a deer, at least not until I started shooting. He made it down the hill at a fast loping trot and was coming up from the wash behind me at a steady trot. He didn't seem to acknowledge my presence as I was standing still and right at 100 yards away. My first shot had him perfectly behind the shoulder blades, missing all shoulder bones and blowing chunks of lung out the far side. He didn't even flinch. I hurried a second shot and caught him high, hitting him center spine and while it stopped him before he could get over into a very steep canyon, it ruined about half the backstrap. He gave 2 good thrashes on the ground and was done. Both bullets exited and performed flawlessly. The lungs were mush, but the adrenaline kept him going until hit #2. This is how I found him.

A bit of a closer view:

It was about 1/3 of a mile to the nearest road. I dressed/quartered him in place, packed the meat into big plastic bags, and hiked him out in one trip.

The rifle is my pet M70 classic stainless, 300 WSM, shooting 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips. The load is 64 grains H4350 for 2900 fps and is less than 3/4MOA when I can shoot that well. The scope is a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40AO.

My homemade knife worked flawlessly. I have a post in the knife section if anyone is interested in more details.

Not the biggest mulie one will see here, but a personal trophy nonetheless! It was a helluva tough hunt and a decent buck to show for it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
great post, nice buck too.

I know what you mean about walking on rock and landing on your arse.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
big congratulations, cdh! i like the whitetails, but for me, mulies will always rule!thumb

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer. Unusual to see brow tines on a small rack. Never seen any like that in Wyoming and I saw a 3 pointer this year when I was there.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Any "first" is special!! Congrats on your hunt!!

I like the knife too!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, CDH! Beautiful country.

JohnDeere

Posts: 61 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote