THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Tuffpak & Airline Weight Restrictions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpak & Airline Weight Restrictions
 Login/Join

<Harry>
posted
Some of you may not hang out on the Africa forum part of AR.
Here is my pitch.
The airlines seem to need money from anyplace they can get it so they are now changing baggage weight limits.
IF they have cut from 70 to 50 then you need to show up with a gun case as light and strong as possible.
You also need a case that will hold your firearms and in their soft cases which you always need when you reach your destination.
Tuffpak has four different cases. Our regular gun case which weighs 17 pounds empty, will hold 3 scoped rifles in their soft cases or 5 non scoped long guns in their soft cases. It has a solid steel axle under with the two wheels.
There us a takedown case, a bow case and a bow & rifle combo case.
Nothing weighs over 18 pounds empty and all have wheels. All will hold multiple firearms in their soft cases.
The lock is the vending machine barrel key type lock.
You might as well have all the room and be able to pack as much of your personal goods as possible
before paying overweight charges.
www.hunters-hq.com
Check us out when you have time.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
harry,
As you well know I would not use any other case, I only wish you would get off your butt and make them come out with a 2 gun case of the same design. Someone is missing a bet there.

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went down to Florida for a Saturday preserve quail hunt -- second flight with my Tuffpak and the lightest I've ever traveled for a hunt.

My shotgun, all my hunting clothes, shaving kit, and sneakers to wear around the lodge, went in the Tuffpak easily. Couple books and magazines in the carry-on bag. I wore my jacket and hunting boots (it was snowing here when I left).

No problem with anything including the dreaded airport check-in. No one wanted to see the gun at either end. Whew. The screener at the VA end tried to get the cap off the Tuffpak just as I got to the screening area -- I offered her the key and told her it was locked because it was a gun case; she said it was OK and sent it on through.

Three of us had our bags delayed arriving at the destination due to a big load of military luggage for the local AFB but all arrived in time for the hunt. I've now had luggage delayed 4 times and 3 of those times it included a gun case.

Came back with no problems at all, though the ticket clerk down south looked right at the Tuffpak and asked if the gun was in a case. "This is the case," I said, patting it fondly, which seemed to work for her. This time I wore my sneakers and put my boots in my carry-on -- just couldn't figure out a way to get a nice pair of size 12 Schnee's pacs into the Tuffpak but that's no big deal.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, my Tuffpak with shotgun, clothes & all weighed 35 lbs. at check-in.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote