THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Idaho -- Bighorn Sheep Poacher Sentenced

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho -- Bighorn Sheep Poacher Sentenced
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
From Idaho F&G:

A Nampa man will spend six months in jail and pay thousands in restitution for poaching a California bighorn sheep in Owyhee County earlier this year.

Jake B. Fouts, 21, must pay more than $2,900 in court costs, civil penalties and restitution and, under work release stipulations, spend 180 nights in the Murphy jail. The felony conviction, handed down by District Judge Gregory Culet, also included a lifetime hunting privilege revocation, five years probation and the suspension of Fouts’ fishing and trapping privileges for the next five years.

Physical evidence and an eyewitness account of the poaching incident led Fouts to plead guilty to the felony charge. Initially, Fouts claimed the .22-caliber bullet that killed the bighorn ewe “must have ricocheted.” But when recovered, the bullet was in perfect condition, inconsistent with this claim.

Forensic evidence indicated that the bullet fired from Fouts’ rifle passed between the ribs of the ewe and across the top of the heart before exiting the chest cavity and lodging in the leg muscle. The pregnant bighorn died instantly.

Efforts to reestablish California bighorn sheep in southwest Idaho have been ongoing since as early as 1963. Over several decades, bighorn numbers in the Owyhee Canyonlands area have grown, and sheep have expanded into portions of their historic range, including the Reynolds Creek drainage where the bighorn ewe was poached. A limited hunting season for bighorn rams only is open each year, and the handful of available sheep tags is highly coveted by hunters.

Fouts killed the bighorn sheep just off the upper Reynolds Creek Road above Hemmingway Butte on February 21. An eyewitness to the poaching contacted the Owyhee County Sheriff’s Office with information relayed to Idaho Fish and Game. A short time later, Fish and Game officer Kurt Stieglitz stopped and arrested Fouts on State Highway 45 just north of Walters Ferry.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we were hoping for more, but it was a start...
We also held out for two counts (unborn lamb), but they only went for one.

He has an hour after he gets off work to be behind bars, and gets back out the next morning an hour before work. He'll also be subject to unlimited drug/alcohol testing.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to what was going through his mind the moments before and right up to the time he pulled the trigger.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Since Idaho is a member of the 35 states comprising the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact and this poacher had his hunting privileges revoked for life in Idaho, will he automatically have his hunting privileges revoked for life in the other 34 states?
I only hope the answer is "Yes"

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
I only hope the answer is "Yes"

And that it is. Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I'm curious as to what was going through his mind the moments before and right up to the time he pulled the trigger.

Obviously he wasn't concerned. He had read on AR that a 25-06 can't kill an elk so surely a mere .22 is simply an annoyance to a sheep.

In all seriousness, the guy is an idiot and hopefully he is being dealt with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think its enough fine. That animal and her unborn are worth at least $15,000.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the jail time.
But I think the monetary fine was way too lenient. Heck, just putting in for the draw costs that much.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odds are, unfortunately, that the poacher will begin poaching again, after he is out for awhile. By their very nature, criminals do not bother to obey the laws.

I'd wager some serious money that he'll commence poaching again one of these days, if not here in Idaho, in another State.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote