THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need help. Black bear / elk /deer hunting in Canada.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help. Black bear / elk /deer hunting in Canada.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends..
The decision is taken... There will be a trip across the pond in two years time.
Me and a couple of friend plan a black bear hunt in Canada.
We have not yet decided if we go for a spring or fall hunt, or east, middle or west coast.

We plan to spend 16 days for hunting and a week or so for travel.

We like to combine the bear hunt with an elk or a deer if possible, but that my be a combination hard to come by, and sertanly limit us to the fall hunt ??

Any suggestions, good advices or adresses will be wery much apreciated.

Staying quite a time in BC in my younger years, I would love to hunt there, but my friends are talking about Alberta or Newfoundland as well.

We are on a budget so there are sertain limitations.

US is also interesting, but we got the impression that Canada is not as expancive and more easy to come by non resident hunters ??

Best regards
Arild

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider Saskatchewan, they have a fall bear hunt that overlaps with the Moose (and in some areas Elk) Season.
If you like geese you can do that at the same time too.

One of the Biggest Eastern moose Racks that I saw was from central saskatchewan just east of Prince Albert. Don't forget Sask had the white tail record (the Biggars deer) a short time ago.

you can find their regulations at:

http://www.serm.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/huntingguide/huntingguide.pdf

checkput the Sask Gov page:

www.serm.gov.sk.ca

good luck

Rockhead

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi Arild,

Black bear hunting is best in the spring when they are easier to find, but there are many possibilities for your combination hunt in the fall. I would suggest that you consider the Kootenay Region in B.C., as it is about the only place you could hunt all three species at the same time. Our seasons overlap from about Sept 10 to October 20.

You can get all three species in northern BC if you use a bow. Otherwise you would be restricted to bear and elk. Rifle season for deer does not start til November, when the bears are snug in their dens.

Check out www.goabc.org and do a search of outfitters by species and/or region.

Alberta or Manitoba are also possibilities for your hunt, but I don't know about concurrent seasons in those areas.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck,
Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are only going for bears I would go in the spring you well get the best hides then If you get them shortly out of the den they well have great fur.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Tom Blimkie>
posted
you might want to check out the hunting sections in this website, you might just find what you are looking for.

I can highly reccommend him.

http://www.anchord.com/

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
16 days should be plenty of time to get a nice bear in BC ! (Yoiu are allowed two)

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Arild, I just got back from a 4 day snowmobile trip into some of the best elk and moose hunting country in the world. The outfitters name is Barry Tompkins of Big Nine Outfitters out of Fort St. John, B.C.. Check out their sites at www.bignine.com and also www.highandwild.com . The spot I went into was called "God's Little Acre". I have lived/hunted here for 21 yrs. and have never seen anything like it; and the boys all tell me it isn't the best! There are better areas in their territory! If you want an excellant area for trophy elk, moose, bear you have to talk to Barry from Big Nine @ 250-787-8431 or fax @ 250-787-9732.

<rwj>
posted
Arild: I strongly agree with Canuck and the others: the best time to hunt black bears is the spring..the bears are in good shape, they are relatively easy to locate, and there are lots of them. A few years back (1997or98)I hunted out of Highlevel along the mighty Peace River in northern Alberta in May and shot two fine specimens..I think anywhere in northern Alberta or many places in British Columbia will offer excellent opportunties to successfully hunt black bears. Plus the whole territory is absolutely beautiful! Search the web for "huntin black bears in Alberta and British Columbia" and lots of outfitters will pop up. There are plenty of good places along coastal southeast Alaska that has lots of bears as well.

I would say if you wanted to hunt some of the other species you mentioned (elk,deer,moose?) your trip will be EXPENSIVE, no matter where you go..and chances are such a hunt would be principally for elk/deer/moose and a black bear would or could be taken incidentally while hunting the elk/moose/deer. That is just my opinion.

In the spring it is lots of fun to hunt black bears over bait or spot and stalk.

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanx to all of you..
Lots of good stuff here to look into.
This planning and researching bit is really interesting.

I�m off for a Easter Holiday today.
There is a snug cabin in the mountains waiting for me and my girlfriend.
The skies are alredy on the roof rack, bags are packed, food and beer to be shopped on route.
Jeeez...I�m looking forward to this...

Happy Easter to all of you !!

Best regards Arild

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild
About 8 years ago, I explored in and around the town of Mistatim Saskatchewan

http://www.lights.com/newsask/mistatim.html

The place had a healthy moose, bear, elk and White Tail deer population. As well as good geese shooting. There was an outfitter/guide in town that had a very rustic lodge from which he guided hunts. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the outfitter But I am sure you can get the name with an email to the town at the link above

let me know if you find the name of the guide.

regards

RH

Try this place: Simoneau Outfitting, Mistatim, Saskatchewan. Tel 306-889-4460.

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 04-01-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote