Find
Notify
Tools

South Dakota West River Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
Had a great hunt out west river deer hunting this year. After about a 9 year break from hunting deer out west, I was invited to go with this great group of guys. Some great bucks taken by our group. Just a little over 800" of antler taken in 2 days. The weather couldn't have been any better to boot.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer. Congrats.

posted Hide Post
Looks like you all had a great trip, congrats.

Posts: 15 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
What a great trip! Congratulations to all!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
very nice Cool

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Wow great bucks!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! We are leaving Friday night for our West River hunt. Being a non resident, we didn't have a muley buck option this year, but I am bringing the wifes good camera cause I know we will see some dandys. It looks like our weather should be good as well and with the cooler temps I am hoping the white tails are chasing. Congratulations!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your group did excellent!! tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did that big one jump the fence and get tagged? OR wise up and split?

IF tagged, which one is he?
Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Did that big one jump the fence and get tagged? OR wise up and split?

IF tagged, which one is he?
Thanks,
George

He was tagged shortly after that picture was taken. He is the buck in the middle of the top picture. He scored 174" as a clean 5x5 and 27" wide if I remember correctly.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
I've shot one whitetail in Texas a few years ago with a .450-400 double rifle. Add a two bison in SD and that's my lower 48 experiences. I would never go to a place like the Sanctuary for a high fenced deer of any size. What you gents did is a dream I've had for a long time--just a nice low pressure hunt with friends and getting exceptional results.
Congratulations to all of you. Now that I'm retired and hunting in my home state of Alaska is getting to be too hard, and many trips to Africa has taken the thrill out of going there, your thread has inspired me to research hunting in the lower 48.
Cheers, mates and well done.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back from SoDak, and it was great. Deer numbers seem to keep expanding and we are finally starting to see some really nice bucks after the Bluetongue outbreak three years ago. We did not see any big muley bucks, but we were a little late this year and I think the big boys were locked down pretty tight on hot does already. A lot of thin horns running around and we saw dozens of 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old whitetail bucks. The weather was great and the kids are all jacked up to draw bucks next year with all the ivory they saw. They did all get one more gutting job under their belt and more confidence as they all made great shots on their deer. The youngest made a 254 yard shot 2" over the heart with an 85 grain partition from his .243win. She went down in a heap after a 10 yard run. The 8 pointer next to her followed her and stopped when she fell and stood there waiting for her for 15 minutes! He was one disappointed dude! Already can't wait for next year.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my South Dakota whitetail this year. Nice mass and a big deer.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congrats to you and Erik and your party!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote