New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 in 270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to get a Ruger #1 in 270. Has anyone had good success with 270's in the #1? I could go with the time-proven 30-06, and both are ballastic similiar. But I am looking for a rifle to shoot a bit more further out. Not only that, I am getting this Ruger #1 'cuz I have got the same performance from Rugers as Remmys. Oh, yeah...its an elegant rifle to boot!

Should I go with another caliber? I see this #1 in 270 in my gunstore for $545 so it looks pretty good for that price.

Thanks for your inputs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger chambers the No 1 in 270 Weatherby. That would be cool.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4x4:

My father bought one in 270 Weatherby last year and it IS cool. Shot extremely well even with the crappy factory trigger. Just got a trigger job to a crisp 2.5 lbs.-it ought to be awesome now.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agre on the elegant, but they are too heavy in my humble opinion.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
of the ones I've associated with accuracy was woefully lacking......best of luck to you.

BTW their standard of accuracy in that model is 1.5" at 50 yards.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
What #1 are you looking at? The 1A is light enough in standard calibers. Don't fall for the 26" barrel myth where the thinking is that the rifle will be somehow short and handy as the SS action is shorter than a bolt. It does not work out that way and they are really too heavy to carry all that much although I have done it.

A 1A with a small scope will still go eight pounds. That's enough weight and the 22" barrel is plenty for that expansion ratio.

The 270 Winchester has been a standard for over eighty years and is the smallest cartridge that will be entirely satisfactory for any game in the 49 states.

The #1's that I have had have been quite accurate. A 7mm RM was good for 1.5 MOA, a 300 WM was a 1.0 MOA rifle and a 30-06 is shooting about 1.25 MOA. Mine always stayed sighted in and would shoot the first shot from a clean barrel where it should go. This feature made the #1's a go to gun when up against the battery of wood stocked rifles that were also available. Maybe it's the two piece stock and free floating the barrel that allows this reliablity.

one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
The 270 is a great caliber. Loaded in 130g bullets it makes a nice light recoil deer gun. Jump up to 150g and it will work on elk.

If you really want the extra distance look at the 270WSM. An extra 200 fps.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a .270 in the #1-B. After some load experimentation, I found it was very accurate with 130 grain Ballistic Tips under a moderate load of 4831. Even though I really liked the rifle, I ended up selling it due to the fact it was just too heavy for a carrying rifle. You'd be better off with the #1-A with the 22" tube if you plan on carrying it in the field.

Mike

Posts: 14 | Location: Oregon, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Ridge,
My Ruger#1 in .338 weighs 8 1/4 pounds with a scope and I have no problem carrying that hunting. My elk hunting usually involves wilderness hikes of 10 to 15 miles a day and the rifle weight does not tire me. My weight does often and I try to bear that in mind, a pound or 10 off of me......................

As far as caliber, I would like to own most of the #1's in calibers that they produce, but the .270 Weatherby is a great cartridge and if you want to reach out, I would sure look at that one. And the Ruger #1 with a 26" barrel is shorter and easier to handle than a bolt rifle with a much shorter barrel and those who have used them know better. It also has incredible "fondle factor" (sorry, can't remember the author of that one).

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote