New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for Antelopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So now I've booked a hunt and ordered a Harris bipod. Which bullet would you recommend for Antelope? The outfitter said if I tagged out early we would shoot some Prairie dogs. Based on that he told me to bring my 6.5x55. I normally use 125gr Nosler Partitions to deer hunt, which seems fine for the Antelope but a bit much for the dogs. I also have a few 100 Sierra 120gr Pro-hunters that I target practice with. So what would be you choice?

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 05-23-2002).]

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark65x55,
What is the point of aim differance between your two loads out to say 250-300 yards?
If it is very minimal I would use the target ammo on the dogs and your 125's on the 'lope.
My first Bowhunt for Elk in Montana we spent
an hour walking/shooting through a colony and it was a blast with a bow and target points. I haven't been back with my .243 to spend an afternoon at 200 yards

Good Luck
Greg

------------------
"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'd bring the two types of ammo, and memorize the change in p.o.i. Get the goat, change the scope settings. How hard is that? JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the 120gr. Ballistic Tip in the 6.5s. I've seen several taken at long range in 6.5JDJ handguns (~2400fps from a 14" barrel).

This bullet was designed for antelope.

George

------------------
"Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!"

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the vote for 120 grain Ballistic Tips. You could also use them for the PD's. I also was told we could try some prairie dogs after our antelope hunt but it never happened so I never used my .223 on my hunt. I actually just took two guns. One 30.06 for the big game and a .223 for others. Are you driving or flying? If weight isn't a factor two guns might be nice. I also like just memorizing scope adjustments for two bullets. I load 150 grain BT's in my .308 but I also have loaded 110 grain V-Max's. I know that by turning the scope down 10 clicks the varmint bullets will be 2.5" high at 100 yards. Returning the scope to the first setting puts the 150's back on target.
Either way, hope you have fun. Goat hunting is a blast. I can't wait to get back and do it again. Just put in my application for the California draw but that's like winning the lottery here.

Good luck,
NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
I normally use 125gr Nosler Partitions to deer hunt, which seems fine for the Antelope but a bit much for the dogs. I also have a few 100 Sierra 120gr Pro-hunters that I target practice with. So what would be you choice?

Why not use the 125 gr Partitions for busting pasture poodles? I like to use any big game rifle I have on them. I think it was Jack O'Connor who advocated using the same rifle and loads for shooting varmints that you use for big game. It is really good practise. If you can hit a pasture poodle at 300 yds with your regular loads you will be dynamite when you go for antelope or deer. As a side note have you ever seen what a .30-06 does to them?

WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Memorizing two points of impact seem like a lot of wasted mental effort while creating exceptionally favorable conditions for Murphy's Law. The only difference I've found between antelope and pdogs are the horns and hooves. My suggestion is to ditch the 125 partitions and shoot 100gr Ballistic Tips at them both!

I am dead serious here. And the neat part is that I be you have absolutely no idea of how much you're gonna like them.

FWIW

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Um... I'd thank him for his suggestion and then bring a rifle more specific to the task. If you just have a "FEW" prairie dogs to shoot, okay... but if you find a decent town... well, I wouldn't be overheating the sporter barrel on my .280 AI for prairie dogs. I'd take my heavy-barreled .22-250 AI or my .223 Remington.

Your call.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just load some 120gr Speer SP's in your 6.5 x 55? I have been using this bullet a lot of late. It will do a fine job on those Pronghorn's and they are cheap enough to shoot all day on those ground rats. That bullet has the SD and BC of the 130 gr 270 Bullet like the Speer SP. And the 130gr 270 is the rifle by which you go to when hunting those lopes. Around 50 gr of RL-22 will do it for you.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I would shoose the one who shoots the best and stay with it for all hunting.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having guided Antelope hunters for about 20 years now, I'd second what Flip said- I don't think that there will be a whit of difference between the two on the goat side, but since that is the primary purpose of the trip, I'd use the one that shoots the best in your rifle. Antelope are not tough, you can practically kill them with anything- as long as you hit them right the first time. I have seen them take an incredible pounding when the first shot was in the guts or a leg or whatever. Punch their lungs out with the first shot and enjoy the meat- its one of the best.

Posts: 94 | Location: Lakewood, Colorado USA | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dice2>
posted
I also try to look for praire dog villages while hunting speed goats. Nothing like knocking off a bunch of the little vermine.

I like the 115 grain noslers best under all conditions and angles. Now reaching far out younder way, the 120 nosler BT get my vote.