THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Florida advice please: Naples and/or Miami

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida advice please: Naples and/or Miami
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings from the UK.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I can't see one that better fits, but if the powers that be think it should be moved then who am I to argue.

So to get to the nub of the matter:

I've got to be in Naples for a company get-together in mid November. A long way to go from London to hear some speeches and presentations.
The afternoons are free time and the sunday is a day off as the thing wraps up at breakfast but flights leave Miami in the evening.
I'll have a rental car....fingers crossed the Hertz Shelby Mustang. I own a '66 convertible over here, so it seemed the obvious car to rent...a chap has to have some indulgancies!

What about a good hunting shop, I looked but no Cabelas, anything similar? You guys do sell stuff cheap by our standards...could be a chance to pick up the new jacket and scope I've been promising myself.

I'm always up for some Hunting, Shooting, Fishing and also clay and target shooting, so was hoping there would be some venues where a visitor can pay&play (I'd need to rent/borrow a gun though).

So any suggestions?

My other passion is surfing. Does anybody share that interest? Any chance of some decent surf at that time of year? I'm assuming not in Naples as wrong coast, what about Miami? If so is it easy to rent a board there?

I don't do golf!

Thanks in advance...

Count experiences, not possessions.

Posts: 132 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
You might try Bass Pro Shops. There web-site is www.basspro.com and click on there store locations. They have a store in Fort Lauderdale, north of Miami. www.mapquest.com would help you with directions, if the basspro site doesnt.

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.anywho.com

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UK Hunter,

If you want to get over to Ft. Lauderdale, the highway named "Alligator Alley" (not a nickname) will take you straight over.

There are some high-end gun shops there and in the Palm Beach area.

Worth a day trip....

Regards,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You might consider looking into some fishing, if that's something you enjoy. Some fun to be had on the water in that department down there, especially the salt.

Cheers,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UKHunter,

KamoGari is giving good advice the flats and mangrove backwater country offers fantastic fishing; either fly or spinner. You could catch some snook, trout and /or tarpon.

Inland and North from Naples there are several farms where wild hogs are always in season.

Have a great trip. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can kill two birds with one stone if you decide to visit Bass Pro Shops...

http://www.igfa.org/mgi.asp

Would that be the 500 horsepower Shelby shown cruising the Autobahn in the TV commercials?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
UKHunter,

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I would suggest that if you like to fish any at all the flats/backwaters in the Naples area is some of the best tarpon and snook fishing in southern FL.

When driving across alligator alley you'll be sure and want to look for our resident reptiles. There are canal systems that run along the edge of the highway system. You generally see more alligators on the northern side of the road than the south side. Don't ask me why but I see more on the northside.

There is a Bass Pro Shop in Ft. Lauderdale just off of Griffin Rd. You can purchase the hunting item you need and can easily spend several hours in there just browsing. Also adjacent to Bass Pro is the Saltwater Fishing Hall of Fame. You might want to take a couple hours and go through it. They have some really neat stuff in there.

I would invite you to join me and I'd show you around but I'll be in the process of moving to Colorado during that time period so I can't say for sure what my schedule is going to look like; however, I'd be more then happy to help in any way possible.

Take care,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote