Find
Notify
Tools

AZ Leftover Big-Game Permits
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Mailed applications for leftover permits for deer, turkey, and javelina accepted starting Aug. 2

July 29, 2010

PHOENIX – The more than 5,500 hunting permits left over from the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s fall drawing/lottery process will be available on a first-come, first-served basis by mailed application only beginning Monday, Aug. 2.

For those individuals who missed the draw deadline for fall hunts or were unsuccessful in getting a permit-tag, there is a second chance at more than 4,300 deer tags, 900 fall turkey tags, and 300 juniors-only fall javelina tags through the leftover process.

Visit www.azgfd.gov/draw for a detailed list of the leftover permits remaining and an application form. Applicants should refer to the 2010-11 Arizona Hunting and Trapping Regulations to determine the hunt dates, legal wildlife, method of take, and for application instructions.

Leftover permit-tags remaining from the draw are issued in two stages and by two methods.

In the first stage, applications will be accepted by mail only beginning at 8 a.m. (MST) on Monday, Aug. 2. Applications received prior to this time will be returned.

After Aug. 9 at 8 a.m. (MST), hunters can obtain a leftover tag in person at any of the seven Arizona Game and Fish Department offices (in addition to the mailed application option). Walk-in customers will still need to fill out an application to obtain a leftover tag. A list of Game and Fish regional office locations is available at www.azgfd.gov/offices.

For those who qualify, there are military hunts available for Fort Huachuca. Call (520) 533-2549 for additional information.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Note that with two exceptions, the units that have tags available are very near, or are on the Mexican border.

The recent increase in drug and human smuggling may account for the lack of interest in setting up deer camp in those units. I hunted units on the border for many year, and truly enjoyed the hunting there, but no more.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine in..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Those units typically had lots of leftovers for the early seasons long before the border problems. And I would bet every one of the permits available will be sold within the week.

Several years ago, my son and I decided we wanted to draw a late season Kaibab permit, which we did this year with 8 points.

So...when I filled out the app each year, I put only the two late NK hunts as 1st and 2nd choice. Then when we didn't get drawn, we would get a BP and put in for a 1st-come permits for Unit 36B to hunt Coues deer. We not only hunted that way but also retained our BPs with hopes of drawing a Kaibab permit.

Only guessing here, but I would say many Coues hunters have also caught on to that method. They apply ONLY for the hard-to-draw Dec. hunts. If unsuccessful, they go for an early season leftover. So they keep their BPs to apply for the Dec. hunt the following year(s).

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote