Find
Notify
Tools

My 08 Texas Mule Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I passed up two Mulies that were shot later that scored 150 and 155. Waiting for the real toad that was rumored to live on theis ranch.

He didn't show, so we discussed a couple of Cull Mule Deer. 4 to 5 year old deer that didn't have the traits of a trophy. I had a friend cull one 4 year old 3x3 (including the brow tines) and I settled on this 4x4. I had seen him and others had as well. everyone put him at 5 years old.

Interesting story, A friend was hunting a big 80 acre wheat field that was about 600 yards wide. I was glassing from the top of a bluff and saw this deer enter the wheat field. He had already shot a Mulie and was waiting for a WHitetail.

I stalked down to the field, and sure enough, the deer was standing between me and my friend who was about 600 yards away.

No radios to tell him what to do, so ... what do you do? Well, I texted him. "Move out of the way so I can shoot this deer." (he could see me and the deer.)

A few minutes later, I get a text back, "I am clear."

Well, by that time the deer had moved from 150 yards to 300 yards, but he was also well clear of my friend across the field. But still, it was good to know he was clear.

Old #14

A big mean Bull with a #14 eartag did his best to run down my friend a few days earlier. He had to jump a gate to escape. The bull spent some time ramming the gate after him. The cowboys on the ranch were scared of him, he was a bad bull!

I am taking pictures of the deer with a tripod and a the timer on the camera.

Position the deer, hit the button and run to get behind the deer for the photo. Truck headlights are on the deer so I can focus, because now it is after dark.

I notice some cows gathering around me. I scan all of them for #14, as I am also very "respectful" of his territory. No bull, no problem.

I hit the shutter and run behind the deer to pose for the shot, then I hear it, heavy pounding charging hooves right behind me.

I am 100% sure I am about to be thrown into the air by a charging bull. I drop the head and take off running as fast as I can, turning to see my friend "charging" me.

The camera catches the shot as I am running away and he stands there laughing at me!

No joke, it scared the daylights out of me. I knew I was about to be stomped!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Very Nice buck Wendell, congrats!

Don't remember the beard though. What happened, lose a bet? Smiler

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck there Wenell,
Don't blame you for not wanted to be hoof jelly.
I was the victim of unrealistic expections recently. I was in Jardine Montana, had a combo elk and mule deer tag. Passed up two shooters, a 4 x 4 and a 3 x 4 expecting to see something better. Weather and deer did not co-operate. Ended up taking a 2 x 2 to give to the guide for his grandma. Tenders and backstrap were very good though.
Best of luck to you and yours and Merry Christmas
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Don't remember the beard though. What happened, lose a bet? Smiler

No, won the bet.

No need to be jealous Jack!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote