THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Recommendations on youth doe/hog hunts?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on youth doe/hog hunts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a stepdaughter through my marriage this year that has shown considerable interest in my hunting trips (especially the african stuff).

I was recently thinking of bringing her on a doe hunt (maybe hog) in Texas this year if I can get her to shooting well (and manage tokeep quiet for more than 5 minutes Roll Eyes).

I have seen a number of special youth hunts advertised on the net, but was looking for recommendations on anyone that has done a similar hunt with youngsters.

This is her first real introduction to hunting, so plenty of game to keep us entertained would be good. Feeders, high fences, etc would be just fine for this hunt. I would also hope to find relatively easy shots as she is learning and is excitable. Most of all - fun. And hopefully a reasonable price tag.

Thanks

PS : this would be a father-daughter type of thing where I was with her at all times.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was recently thinking of bringing her on a doe hunt (maybe hog) in Texas this year if I can get her to shooting well (and manage tokeep quiet for more than 5 minutes ).

mm29:
LOL! BTDT. Fortunately, my wife decided to sit in the blind with my son and I on his first few trips (age 7). Kids have a very short attention span at that age and keeping them quiet is difficult to impossible. My wife kept me in check enough for it to be enjoyable for my son, consequently we have enjoyed 35 years of (not enough) hunting together. Guess what I'm saying, is don't be too tough on her or she might decide it is not fun. I know I was much too serious about being quiet and, left to my own devices, would probably have made it less fun for my son.

About 4-5 years ago, I took a friend to Hilje Hunting Haven, located on the Nueces River in LaSalle county on an off season hog hunt. They have cabins for the hunters, walk in cooler and lots of hogs. As I recall, there was a fee of $60/day per hunter, minimum 2 day hunt + $50.00 per hog shot. The daily fee included use of the cabin, which had fully equipped kitchen, all you need is your food. (There was a non-hunter daily fee should your wife like to go along.)

Rates may have changed, so I'd give Jud Hilje a call if this sounds like something you'd like to do. Their phone # is 830)676-3328 and mailing address is Box. 555, Cotulla, Tx. 78014.

I do know that they offer deer hunting during season and hog and/or axis hunting after deer season. Also fishing in the river right behind the cabins if you so desire.

By all means, take the daughter hunting since she is showing an interest, it can be the beginning of a wonderful relationship that you both look forward to.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much help this will be for the current year, but Texas Parks and Wildlife sponsors several hunts in state parks across the state in an attempt to keep deer, exotics and hog populations in check. A lot of those hunts are youth only, and the adult must sit with the youth but is not allowed a firearm.

There are invariably what are known as standby spots, where folks that have drawn to hunt don't show up. Although my son is now too old to do this, he and I did the youth hunt for abou three years. The opportunity to shoot some really nice deer exists, and if you do get to hunt, success is high.

I would call TP&W and ask for a public hunt booklet. The book will have dates and parks where the hunts are being held, and there will be contact numbers to call.

It would be strictly a standby situation for you this year, but when Mark and I did this, if there was any way at all to put all the youngsters that showed up into the woods, the men running the hunts did just that.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thing to do is take her in the woods scouting and practicing with out her know it. Most of all make it fun.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote