New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope Island Mule Deer Permit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just heard from a friend of mine who was at the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo auction that the Antelope Island, Utah 2014 mule deer permit sold for $305,000!!!!! That's an incredible amount of money for a mule deer permit. I hope it's worth it for the hunter and he has a great hunt. It's also a lot of money that will go toward mule deer work on the island.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I personally don't feel that they should be able to auction off our hunting rights to the highest bidder on public land.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I personally don't feel that they should be able to auction off our hunting rights to the highest bidder on public land.

I agree. The money raised goes to a worthy and necessary cause, but this type of auction leeds us one step closer to a European "Hunting for the rich and privileged only" system.

I think all funds raising tags should be distributed by a raffle, one chance per customer only.
Everybody has an equal chance.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/b...eadid=428807&forum=7

Link has some other auction prices paid.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9498 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
but this type of auction leeds us one step closer to a European "Hunting for the rich and privileged only" system.

Welcome to the future of hunting in America. Things have been sliding in this direction for about 20 years now, and I for one do not see it changing.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I think AI has one auction tag and one draw tag for mule deer.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Larry is correct. There is a tag available through the state lottery.

I think the Island hunts are great for the state. Not a lot of people have this same belief but who cares. I hope I draw the tag one day.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Funny shit......stupid money

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for the guy who found a way to make that kind of money and spent it in the manner in which he chooses. If some of that money goes to conservation, all the better.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine bought one of the Henry Mountain tags tonight for deer. Should be an interesting summer and fall

I personally do not buy any chances for any of the expo tags. I am not a fan of them. I don't mind a few governors tags to go fund on the ground improvements that benefit wildlife and sportsmen but Utah has taken it too far IMO

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any one know what the Henry mt bison went for?
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
This years AI muley tag was purchased by our very own "Pop-Gun 30-06".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
A good friend of mine bought one of the Henry Mountain tags tonight for deer. Should be an interesting summer and fall

I personally do not buy any chances for any of the expo tags. I am not a fan of them. I don't mind a few governors tags to go fund on the ground improvements that benefit wildlife and sportsmen but Utah has taken it too far IMO

Good luck to him. I have seen some pictures from there. Some of those bucks are real monsters.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Good luck to him. I have seen some pictures from there. Some of those bucks are real monsters.

Thanks Larry. We should find a hammer

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I might be dense and missing your sarcasm, or maybe I just didn't know he was on the forums, but I am pretty sure Austad bought the deer tag again.

Posts: 252 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justanotherhunter:
quote:

I might be dense and missing your sarcasm, or maybe I just didn't know he was on the forums, but I am pretty sure Austad bought the deer tag again.

LOL

It was a jab at a guy that lost his mind over a sheep hunt on AI this past season. His handle is Topgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing against the guy who bought.

However, Utah hunting is not on the rise; regardless of these hunts. I don't have the answers but what we are doing must change.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
If you think any government ran agency cares about fairness and the average guy over a chance to make hundreds of thousands of dollars you are sadly mistaken.....

What gets me is UDWR doesn't even get all the money. A large chunk of it goes to the club that auctions the tags... and those clubs do not have to tell you how they spend the donated money. SFW for example will not tell you how they spend thier portion of that sheep tag that was given to them...

RMEF is transparent and I have huge respect for that. SFW will NEVER get a single cent from me. Even though I do think they do a little good here and there, they are far more interested in lined pockets, fairness be damned....

Todd

SFW is the worst organization you could ask for. They have ruined hunting for the average guy in Utah and are trying the same in Wyoming. Bob Wharff who is the talking head for them in Wyoming couldn't speak a true word if his life depended on it. thumbdown

If you want to ruin hunting as you know it, give your hard earned dollar to the SFW!

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What is SFW?

Sportsmens Federation for Wildlife?

Never heard of that one.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife.

I had never seen it before . Apparently they do a lot of rehabitat and transplant work.

They sure do have quite a few auctions on their site .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This did give me a thought though. I am pretty sure that SFW is some kind of structured charity on these auctions .

Not too long ago I was going to enter a car race. I was strongly suggested that we have a charity association. I don't know why really. It should have just been mandatory and let that be the end of it as you sure aren't getting chosen without it. Twin Peaks donations don't count . College girls need charity too right LOL.

All of them are Save The Whales , or the No Guns for No People kind of thing. Of course I didn't do it. Not because I don't like charity, but the PC style of it plus some other things just wasn't for me .

But I think I will get something like SFW . Then I can race and go hunting later . Wink

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Thanks Larry. We should find a hammer

***Funny you have that stance about Utah taking it way too far with it's auction tags, which include all the ones on AI, but then laughingly turn right around and follow up on 505 Gibbs BS post by putting up your own post saying I "lost my mind" because I oppose those auction tags for the sheep hunt and any other hunts on that island that are included in the SFW tag scam!!! That is more than a little hypocritical there Drummond!!! You either do or you don't, so which is it?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose_drool:
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
If you think any government ran agency cares about fairness and the average guy over a chance to make hundreds of thousands of dollars you are sadly mistaken.....

What gets me is UDWR doesn't even get all the money. A large chunk of it goes to the club that auctions the tags... and those clubs do not have to tell you how they spend the donated money. SFW for example will not tell you how they spend thier portion of that sheep tag that was given to them...

RMEF is transparent and I have huge respect for that. SFW will NEVER get a single cent from me. Even though I do think they do a little good here and there, they are far more interested in lined pockets, fairness be damned....

Todd

SFW is the worst organization you could ask for. They have ruined hunting for the average guy in Utah and are trying the same in Wyoming. Bob Wharff who is the talking head for them in Wyoming couldn't speak a true word if his life depended on it. thumbdown

If you want to ruin hunting as you know it, give your hard earned dollar to the SFW!

***+1 man! I'm on Bob's ass all the time whenever he posts on MM with his usual BS and IMHO he's a clone of Don Peay! Can you say con men on here?

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
And .... We're off ..... popcorn

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greybird I think it would seriously calm everyone down if you post a full size pic of the princess In your avatar.
Please?
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
And .... We're off ..... popcorn

rotflmo

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the money goes back for conservation projects for that species I am all for it.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
As long as the money goes back for conservation projects for that species I am all for it.

Me too! Wouldn't it be nice if every tag available statewide would be auctioned off.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:

Me too! Wouldn't it be nice if every tag available statewide would be auctioned off.

***You are kidding aren't you?!!!