THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    860+ pound grizzly killed in Mendocino County, CA!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

860+ pound grizzly killed in Mendocino County, CA!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did I mention it was around 1882? This is a great book, by the way.

Made you look, grin...

“About one year from that time I succeeded in getting up a hunting party, and we went up into the mountains in Mendocino county, where we found game in abundance, deer, elk and bear. I stayed out in the mountains nearly three months, during which time I killed the largest grizzly bear I have ever seen, weighing net, eight hundred and sixty pounds. This bear I killed at one shot, and it is the only grizzly that I ever killed at one shot in all my hunting.”

Excerpt From: Capt. WilliamF. Drannan. “Thirty-One Years on the Plans and in the Mountains: Or The Last Voice from the Plains. An Authentic Record of a Life Time of Hunting, Trapping, Scouting and Indian Fighting in the Far West.” B&R Samizdat Express. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebOb...iewBook?id=411865025

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stayed out in the mountains nearly three months, during which time I killed the largest grizzly bear I have ever seen, weighing net, eight hundred and sixty pounds

Interesting that in PA that they shoot 800lb plus black bears. A blk bear in Wis. this year went 780lbs.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
The griz in Montana wasn't eating donuts.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com...unter-109949654.html
“The 879-pound bear is the heaviest on record in Pennsylvania by 15 pounds. Bozo surely got to be that size because of the store-bought pies, doughnuts, table-scraps and sweets Lewis would feed him.”

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
There has been little to no talk about "Bozo" the bear. There was a lot of questioning about the harvest of the bear. Not if it was done legally but, ethically correct.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

no, but the one in California may have been eating fruits, nuts, and flakes!

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

no, but the one in California may have been eating fruits, nuts, and flakes!
Not sure that enough of the had arrived from the Northeast to keep a grizzly full.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We kept a large female black bear for a couple of years, raised by my BIL from a cub. She approached 500 lbs with her excellent food supply. She was addicted to sweets, main diet was dog food. She refused to eat any sort of meat, except what was processed into the dog food. We had to put her down when the law made it too difficult and she developed a really vicious temper.

Posts: 15941 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote