THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Favorite bullet weight in .300 Winchester Magnum

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite bullet weight in .300 Winchester Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For Moose 200 gr Partition or Partition Gold for up to 200 yd. For over 200 yd shots I use 180 gr Partitions.

Not much point for using light bullets in 300WM.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used nothing but 200's for years and have no reason to change to anything else.I hunt the bigger species of game almost exclusivley and like the performance of the 200's on them
Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I would like to use the 180's but my Savage just loves the 150's so that is what it gets.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine prefers 180 Barnes X's for game and 180 Nosler BT's on targets. Both are handloads with RL 22.

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
300winnie

I've hunted elk for sometime, early on using the 180s in my 300s (Win/Wea), but after 4 heart lung hits, using 180 nosler partitions that did not penetrate all the way through, I switched over to the 200grs.

Personally, I like 2 holes in my big game. One in, and One out.

Having said that, I remember talking to a hunting pardner of Craig Boddington. It was his belief that with the 'premiums' (bullets) you can use less weight in grains... Maybe so.

The aforementioned 180s all killed the elk and I recovered the animals inside of 300 yards, but there was no blood trail in any of them. If I was in heavy timber, they possibly could of been lost. Hence, the heavier bullet weight.

Also, I figure it is insurance if I muff the shot, and the bullet has to travel though a lot of body to get to the engine room.

Maybe an over kill.

My .02

Posts: 28 | Location: Buffalo Country | Registered: 02 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I always used 180's and 200's in my 300's, but wiht my newish 300WSM, I am using 168gr TSX bullets, and their peformance is similar to a 180-200 bullet..

X bullets really plow through.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote