Find
Notify
Tools

A 375 H&H Question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I would like to know why some hunters go for faster 375 caliber cartridge when the 375 H&H does so well and with the increase of recoil they could just go to a larger caliber rifle instead of extreme velocity 375's?

(This is meant to be put in context of typical ranges for hunting with these types of cartridges.)

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For the typical use of 30 caliber rifles why not use a 308 Win instead of a 30.06, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300 Rum, 300-378, etc.?

Some people just like speed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Some men love Blondes, some Redheads, some Brunettes. Bottom line is different strokes for different folks.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
This post really got me to thinking Eeker Not sure what causes it, can't explain it, but I have different thoughts on different cartridges.

My 470 is loaded to regulate, easy decision. The 350 grain 416 is loaded to 2600 fps, not a screamer, but very adequate. I use very mild loads in the 375. I have no desire to change any of these loads.

Then there is the 300 Win Mag. Stuff Happens BOOM

I use a 375 magazine so I can use an OAL of 3.470. This allows me to load a 165 grain slug to 3250 fps. Why? See 308SAKO's opening sentence, pretty much explains it all.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same reason some guys like women with real big boobs - it turns them on. Or maybe they like pain! The 375 HH is fine for me, but once in a while I do get a hankering for a 404 Jeff. And my wife has a good figure, but I still stare at a really big rack once in a while.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:
I would like to know why some hunters go for faster 375 caliber cartridge when the 375 H&H does so well and with the increase of recoil they could just go to a larger caliber rifle instead of extreme velocity 375's?

For the same reason a guy would go for a Z06 'Vette when he can legally only go 65 mph..........because he CAN.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote