Find
Notify
Tools

accidential discharges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
wondering about others experiences.
in my years around firearms and hunting camps and gun ranges, i have been witness to 5 seperate accidential discharges.
And will admit to one of my own.
i fired a dbbl 12 ga. THRU a 69 ford pickup
and never touched the truck!
but i peppered the hell out of my dad's garage.
the ONLY time a firearm has dicharged when i didn't know it was going to.
3 of the 5 other instances were by clients in the rigors of buck fever.
anyone else?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Testing some loads for a fellow he forgot to tell me about the target trigger he had installed.
It was so light that it seems that a breath would set it off.Luckily I had the rifle pointed down range at the target at the time.
Funny thing was you could not get the trigger to trip without pulling it.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have had two: 1 with a Browning HP trying to release the hammer and it as about a 100 deg out side and sweaty fingers didn't help and the other with a 12 ga Ithaca in my house...God that's loud.

Saw 1 in the field with a hunting partner who forgot his saftey was on and then kepting pulling the trigger as he attempted to take off the safety.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a firearms instructor for State Police officers for a LOT of years, saw a couple but not on my range archer

I did one when I was 16, a friend handed me a shotgun he said he just unloaded Roll Eyes Eeker safety was stuck. When I pushed the safety off...it discharged. At least my dads training had taught me to point it in a safe direction. Damn, I was mad, at him and myself. Never have forgotten that one.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Falls in the "stuff happens" category. "Ain't never a horse couldn't be rode, never a cowboy that hasn't been throwed." If you hunt enought, it's gonna happen to you. Remeber the safe gun handlin rules about muzzle control and such and all it will be is an unpleasant surprise. Almost have the transmission rebuild job paid off from a client's inadvertant discharge through the floorboard of my truck last year.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
accidential discharges

sorry, wrong thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1911 go full auto on me when the sear broke.It was pointed down range,but scared the shit out of me!!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have witnessed several over the years, have had a couple myself, and had a friend killed in a hunting camp by the idiot in an adjacent tent.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two. Both were not operator error. First was with a 20 gauge single shot. I was 12 at the time. I fired it and opened and reloaded. Did not realize that the gun did not cock. I slammed the action closed on the protruding firing pin. I tell you what that really hammered home the point of keeping a gun pointed in a safe direction.

Second time was with a Remington 700. Totally stock totally untouched. It was nasty weather gun and as such I put no money into it. It is the only gun I own that the trigger has not been tuned or replaced. I had the gun across my lap. I turned slightly in my chair. The comb bumped the arm of my chair. Gun fired. Scared the crap out of me. I did not have a finger anywhere near the trigger and the safety was still on. Needless to say that gun is sitting in the safe until I get a trigger for it.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit to two - both originating from the same cause. Only on the second AD did I realize what the cause was and was able to change my behaviour.

We were hunting in the Kalahari area of Southern Namibia. As shots were loooooooong, we were shooting prone, and I used my pack for a rest. As usual, I was shooting my R93 and cocking the rifle when I mounted the rifle on the pack (pointed down range in the rough direction of the critter). I then proceeded to push the rifle forward to make my final sight adjustments - at which point the AD happened. My PH looked at me with disgust - and I felt terribly embarrased and bewildered about what had happened. Confused

Needless to say, the first critter had run off with a healthy scare, so we went about locating the next. I can't remember whether the exact same thing happened on the very next critter, but I had the AD *again*, which caused my PH to be TOTALLY disgusted.... Mad Frowner.

Luckily, again, this was an AD with the rifle pointed downrange - safe to all except the odd unfortunate critter... It just so happened that I was using a new pack, and it was really too large for the amount of stuff I carried in it. That caused the outer material on the pack to be really loose, and it grabbed my hand as I pushed the (now cocked) rifle across the pack for final sight adjustments. BOOM was the result, plus a very red face....

The fix was easy, be careful to stay off the pack with your trigger hand as you set the rifle for the final position, and be more careful where you keep your trigger finger.

All in all a most embarrassing experience, but fortunately one which caused no damage (except to my ego) and a very instructive one at that.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one when I was a lad and still don't know how it happened. An AD is a good learning experience if no one is hurt because you can be damned sure you'll be more careful in the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear RavenR:

1. Yup, while deer hunting in the Pennsylvania woods, I shot at a button buck white tail deer with gloves on. My rifle at the time was a 1968 production Remington Model 700 ADL in 243 Winchester with a sweet factory trigger.

You guessed it, I lightened the trigger too much.

Still no luck for the deer. He ran 80 yards, and stopped to look back. I took out the bottom 1/3rd of his heart with the second shot.

That deer tasted great.

I upped the trigger pound weight the next day.

2. 1983 production Colt Python: defective factory trigger. It would go off by itself, which was really interesting.

Colt supposedly repaired it, but when it came back a gunsmith standing at the counter with me told me not to touch it, since the cylinder was dangerously out of time.

I made Colt buy it back from me, but it took nine months though.

I don't buy Colt handguns anymore.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the "infamous" Remingtons with a trigger problem. Luckily I was at the range, with the rifle pointed downrange, when I closed the bolt. It was at my hip when it went off, the scope hit me under the ribs and knocked the wind out of me a bit, other than that no injuries.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
uncle Joe,

Ah!Hum! We'll need to dsicuss that one over an adult beverage or two.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I've had three. I named them Keith, Stacey and Scott. Roll Eyes

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah!Hum! We'll need to dsicuss that one over an adult beverage or two

where?when? and how much of an adult do i have to act like???

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see, I was 15, she was tall, blonde....

when I was a kid I had one with a 10/22, no idea how, was maybe 10, into the dirt next to a truck, but pointed away from people. When I was maybe 21 I had one with my sig 220, I was trying to clear a jam and when I let the slide slam shut it fired (best as I can remember) was uncomfortably close to hitting my buddies truck. I guess wouldn't have matter much, a few years later he was walking out of a gas station when a woman ran a light, slammed a pump into his truck and turned it into a fireball, if he'd been even 10 seconds earlier walking to it he'd have been fried.

My first and only so far paid hunt on pig, my rifle I planned on taking had misfire problems a week before so I took an 03 in 06 I'd just had the safety changed on to 2pos mod70 style, had barely used it. must have left my finger on trigger when I went to flip it off and fired off a round (missing the pig of course). ended up emptying all 5 rounds to get it, damn rifle had a muzzle brake, I'm surprised the guide didn't shoot me and dump my body.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There are accidental discharges and there are accidental discharges!

I was squadron duty officer for VMAT-201 at Cherry Point MCAS back in the early 70's. A sheepish call on the radio asked if I had a weapons manual for a 5" Zuni FFAR and if I could see how far one would go if fired at a 45 degree up angle.

Seems that a pilot flying an A-4 Skyhawk had hit the trigger on the stick while pulling off a target in Pamlico Sound and had fired a rocket (live ordinance) nose up towards Morehead City.

A Zuni had a 11 pound warhead and made a big bang when it hit. Opps!

Do one ever reported an unexplained explosion, though and I don't remember even putting the incident in the log. Our best guess is that it hit in the marsh somewhere and didn't cause any damage 'cept to some fiddler crabs.

No harm, no foul we reckoned and kept our mouths shut?

Different world, now, though.

An amazing A-4 flyby! Dang! I miss those little airplanes. They always did me right.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7712 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if we are talking about the big stuff. I was in an artillery unit and worked FDC (fire direction control). One night on the range "check firing" was called. This was no big deal, Check firings were called all the time, usually because an aircraft was going to use the range for a couple of minutes. A minute later every officer in out battalion was called up to the range officer's shack.

In artillery powder charges are measured in bags. There are different colored bags (white, red, green, etc) and the bags are connected in a string of 7, like links of sausages. To get a shell to land where you want it you used one color (burn rate) and tore off so many bags (weight), coupled with gun tube elevation and deflection. So that night we were shooting 3 or 4 green bag.

It was the last night in the field so we were burning up ammo, it was a pain in the ass for supply to return powder and ammo. The FIST teams (observers) were calling targets and ammo counts as fast as they could and calling for repeat fire on many targets. The tubes were heating up and the gun bunnies were loving it. Then some dipshit forgot to tear off three bags of powder and threw all seven in. All along the line they heard pop, pop ,pop, BOOM.

The shell left the base and landed in someone's back yard sending shrapnel through the cabin. I saw pictures of it after the fact. Creepy. The family that was staying at the cabin, their summer home, was out watching Forest Gump that night.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's use proper terminology !!

AD [accidental discharge] = When it's not something the shooter did , such as a part breaking.

ND [negligent discharge] =when the shooter does something really dumb !

one of us
posted Hide Post
ND's? OK!

I personally know of a guy that shot his washing machine and a his TV while fiddling with his 1911, another that shot a hole through the floor boards of his truck. A third that shot out the window in his house, fourth that shot through the house wall and broke the side window in the family vehicle and when I was nine I pulled the trigger on my 22 to show my Dad that the safety was on. Bang! Wrong!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Mete,

Just to stir the pot...I am on the last 5 yards of a stalk so I have just chambered a round and put the safety on...the dirt gives way under my feet...I fall and as me and the rifle hit the ground and land in a brush pile the safety is knocked off by the brush and as I and the rifle roll down hill from the forces of gravity...I roll over on to the rifle during the tumble down the slope and either my hand or foot tripping the trigger and a discharge occurs.

Not a malfunction and nothing really dumb is done (no way to predict dirt giving way perfectly appropriate to chamber a round at that point)is that an AD or an ND or do we need a third category Unintentional Discharge.

My point is the term AD has long been used to generically referred to any unintentional discharge...relax go have a beer...but don't grab a firearm for at least several hours. Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One with Remington 721, a surprise of the well-publicized sort that didn't hurt anything but scared me silly. Another one putting a Stevens single-shot pistol in a holster; a worn half-cock safety.

Bottom line, always use safeties, never trust them.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been witness to several Accidental Discharges

The most memorable of course was when a Colt Pocket model percussion model discharged while I was in the process of clearing it (I should have simply shot it clear)
The half cock notch in the hammer broke allowing the hammer to short fall firing a 32cal round ball through my Range bag.

the next was one that a friend did to himself, he had a feed jam on a High Standard sport king 22Auto he switched the gun to his left hand to clear the jam and by doing so managed to point the muzzle at his own leg, he cleared the jam unexpectedly and the slide dropped and disturbed his grip
when this happened he managed to jerk the trigger and shoot himself through the side and out the back of his right calf muscle.

Embarrassing, but not life threatening.

Frankly if he offered to show me how he did it again with a live round in the chamber I'd pay for the trip to the ER just to see the STUPID LOOK he had on his face after he did it...

The third one was one of many at the Troy Meadows Trap Club
when someone closed their break action shotgun with their finger on the trigger and discharged a round of #7-1/2 shot into the back of the trap house.
The particular time I have in mind I caught half a dozen bounce back pellets in my right shin... one of which I still carry around with me (still in my leg) that I have gotten to explain to X-ray techs on half a dozen occasions (they think they have a flawed piece of film, I tell them, "No, it's a piece of bird shot."

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
A vast majority of so called accidental discharges are in fact neglegent discharges.

I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill in order that I have hunted.

'If ur'e gonna do it, do it right!'

Posts: 77 | Location: England | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had three over the last 50 years and I am so embarresed about them, that I can't talk about them.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Would you consider this an accidental discharge at the airport ?

Is this for real or a newspaper spoof ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...charges-mistake.html

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just remembered this. I suppose that you could consider it an accidental discharge.

It was March or April of 1959. I was in the Marine Corps stationed at MCRD San Diego in Sea School. We were practicing doing the firing detail at military funerals using M1 rifles firing blanks naturaly. Without a blank adapter the M1 is effectly a bolt action as there is no pressure to cycle the bolt.

The way the program went you started at port arms. The commands were Ready, Aim, Fire and return to port arms to manually cycle the bolt and reload the rifle.

We made a shot, reloaded the rifles and the Gunny started chewing us out. He wanted to hear what sounded like 1 shot and he said that we sounded like a machine gun. Anyway somewhere during this a$$ chewing I reached to put the safety on but didn't reach far enough and pulled the trigger.

Did I say a$$ chewing, that day I got one.

Regards, Keith
Semper Fi

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote