Tools

Big ole gator!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/content/2008/sep/25/local...-foot-gator-sc-hunt/

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could have found one that size on my hunt.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's a darn good gator.

A real good friend of mine does nuisance gator removal and also has a Gator Outfitting service here in La. They've taken a 12'-8" and 11'-7" this year along with several smaller. Driven TV and Hunting the Workd Southern Style were in hunting with him about two weeks back. Nichole from Driven got the 11-7 and it should air next summer.

http://www.takeemaliveadventures.com/

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is a 12'6" gator that we took off of my friend's place on the Guadalupe River Delta.

You can see him next to a 10'+ on her left and an 8'+ on his right. Obviously they are not all into the trailer to the same place but notice how much more gator there is to the 12 footer than there is to the ten footer. A 10 foot alligator is a big creature. A 12 foot alligator is awesome. I have never seen one bigger although my buddy has caught some bigger than that.

In Texas we catch them on 12 "0" Stainless shark hooks and some kind of hellacious line. Hang a chicken on the the hook and put it 2' - 3' out of the water to insure a bigger gator and come back in the morning. He has had one of those hooks straightened out this year. We shoot them in the brain wit a 22 mag. It takes out the brain and doesn't destroy the hide. Most of the gators he catches he sells in Anahuac.

It's really kinda uneventful unless you hit them wrong. Then it gets wet. He gets 8 tags/year and will sell hunts for $1000 - $2500+ depending on what the hunter wants to do and. Obviously the hunter gets to have whatever is on the lines in the morning. There is no catch and release.

I have a 17' Express and we could not load the 12 footer. They weigh from 750 - 850 # and we drag them in the water back to the ramp. As you can see, we do tape even dead gator's mouths closed.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those are some damn big lizards!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! clap

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive! I saw some of these beasts on Lake Okeechobee.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Me too, DUK. Fortunately, we had tags, and killed three of 'em. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote